Freeze Your Butt Off Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: Freeze Your Butt Off Regatta

Postby DBrawner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:42 pm

The race committee is looking forward to tomorrow's racing after making it home from Amsterdam. Mike, you have made an incorrect assumption. You have to read every word carefully.

Dress warm my friends. The regatta is aptly named this year.
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Dave_Branning » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm betting Ramos kept the bucket, and it was filled with snow.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby DBrawner » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Well this is going to be the FYBOR that we talk about for quite awhile. For starters, Bing Crosby should have been there singing "I am dreaming of a white regatta...". Every weather forecast said we might get a light dusting of snow starting around 3pm. Somehow that translated into snow falling at a rate of 2" an hour starting at 11:30. By the time we finished with lunch and trophies, there were 5" of snow on the ground.

To make things a little bit interesting, we used the "Line of Excellence", which is a second starting line 15 yards to leeward of the main starting line. The skippers that finished in the top three of a race started at the Line of Excellence in the next race. No good deed should go unpunished. Rinehart, Ramos and Betz were given the "honor" in the first race. Mr. Ramos ended up starting every race at the LoE.

The original plan was to sail a dozen races. When we realized the forecast was completely inaccurate, we limited the event to six races followed by Nick's delicious chilli and the trophy presentation where everybody ends up with something worth wearing.

The top six, Ramos, Betz, Rinehart, Mote, Walton and Ewing all earned the privilege of starting at the LoE. Skip Hall sailing in and completing every race ended up in the top half of the fleet. Newcomer, Bill Sysyn saved his best for the last race when he earned a second place.

As always, Nick Mortgu was the star of the FYBOR. While the chilli was perfect for a cold day, the assortment of clothing that he lays out on the table as trophies is incredible. Thank you Nick!! Sticking with tradition, the last place finisher picked first from the table. Mike Denest may have sandbagged for this position.

We'll get some pics posted shortly.

Thanks to everyone for coming. I know it was a pain in the butt driving home. At least we didn't have to put up with all that sunshine down in Punta Gorda. :D

1 Ramos 10
2 Betz 15
3 Rinehart 16
4 Mote 17
5 Walton 20
6 Ewing 28
7 Hall 30
8 Oberg 36
9 Sysyn 43 (won tiebreaker with a second place finish)
10 Stoudt 43
11 Cole 52
12 Brock 56
13 Flach 58
14 Denest 72
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby MichaelJ2K » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:24 pm

FYBOR certainly lived up to its name and it certainly was a challenging day. A normal trip to the pond usually takes about an hour. Usually. This ride home took just over 5 hours but, I had the opportunity to see the fireworks over Lincoln Financial Field when the Eagles pulled out a big comeback win. David, thanks for putting together an entertaining day and Nick, thank you for the goodies you pulled together for the regatta. Now I can sit by the fireplace wearing my jammies and nice warm vest. Those Punta Gorda guys don't know what they're missing.

Oh, was I sandbagging? I'll leave that up to you guys to ponder on that. :P
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby DBrawner » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Jim Flach set down his transmitter for the last race and picked up his camera. Enjoy.

http://regatta.smugmug.com/2013-FYBOR/
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:03 pm

What a bunch of light weights! Not one guy in shorts!
Looks like you saved some money on ice to cool your drinks.
I think every boat needs to be DSQed though for the increased waterlines the 2 inches of snow on the deck caused.

I am curious to know how the radios and servos held up in the cold. Where there any issues?
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Fred Maurer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Oh how I wish I had been there! How very glad I was not to have had to drive home afterward. It looks like it was a great time with a fun group of skippers. Memorable to be sure. And only a select few that can say, "I was there." Loved the pictures!
Fred Maurer

Postby RMDJBD » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:54 am

Is that what cold weather clothes look like, I might have to put on two pairs of my preasure stockings and a pair of wool socks and my shorts.

Also is that snow or white beach sand like we have here in Florida.
Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby yachtie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:50 am

This board now needs a "LIKE" button you mad yankees!! :D
yachtie

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:54 am

The pictures and the write up were terrific. Ten years from now, 250 people will say they were there for FIBOR-3. Sorry we Eastern Shore Marylanders missed the experience.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:30 pm

BY FAR THE BEST REGATTA PICTURES EVER! YOU ARE NUTS!

That said, there are two that are Christmas Card Quality: the Cokes and the dinghy being towed! Happy ho ho's to all.
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:47 pm

I just got back home from Europe to look at this. WOW ! What a great show of weather to support the name of the regatta and collage of photos. What fun to have been a part of that. CONGRATULATIONS to all. You lucked out DB, only a blizzard would have been more note worthy but you proved to the locals that Mid Atlantic is a bit NUTS.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff