2013 Mystic Race Week

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2013 Mystic Race Week

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:43 am

Skippers,

We are about a month and a half away from our favorite stop in the New England Cup Series. Mystic Seaport is truly a wonderful place and this year we will be hosting the J National Championships on Thursday and Friday the 8th and 9th followed by the EC12 Class on Saturday and Sunday the 10th and 11th.

This will be our second time hosting the J Nationals and the third time it has been held at this location. There are tons of photos here in the regatta pages from past events as well as some video on YouTube from the J Nationals. We are expecting a record turn out of J boats this year as the class steadily grows and new skippers set their sights on this event. Last time around we had 14 J boats on the line and this year we think we will be nearing 20 boats. Pretty exciting stuff.

The EC12 portion last year was one of the best I have sailed. Not because we had great breeze and great courses but because the skippers who were there were a pleasure to sail with. It was not your usual group of super quiet skippers who were so focused on their boats that they could not utter a word but a group of guys who just kept the one liners coming and coming. I have never laughed so hard at a "competition" before and I hope to repeat that this time around.

NOR and Schedule of events will be posted soon.

A note about the SABINO. Some may remember the tales of woe when we sailed at the South End of the Seaport years ago and how the SABINO had run over a few boats silly enough to get in her way. (The SABINO is a turn of the century steam powered ferry that makes regular trips up the Mystic Draw bridge and back each hour) Well, in 2011 post the J Nationals, a few brave skippers decided to return the favor and we loaded up with our sharpest carving knives intent on carving the sail numbers of the lost and trampled in the seats of the SABINO. Tim Stone, Bob Greer, Ken Koehler and me, hopped aboard for the Friday night down river cruise with ill intent and some Gin and made our way to a place unnoticed by the other guests and crew. While we waited to shove off, we were immediately taken with the Steam Engine that was the heart of the beast and the crew member who fed it shovel full after shovel full of coal. Then we noticed the complex wood work that made up the very ornate railings and walk ways (think the gin was working now or we have ADD) and as the Captain (our arch enemy) rang for reverse, we made our way out on deck. It was a lovely night and the SABINO slipped effortlessly through the water. We made a new plan, we would confront the man himself, the Captain of the Devil boat. We made our way up top to the bridge and although there was a rope across the walk, we could stand very near the Captain and we began talking to him about his murderous exploits. The Gin was really working now and as we began talking to him, we realized that he was a pretty nice guy. He spoke with us nearly the entire trip down to the mouth of the Mystic River and back. We lost all track of our plan and had a wonderful trip aboard the SABINO. Who would have thought? We never really intended on doing and damage to such a historic vessel but it sounded good in theory. After we met the Captain and worked out our differences, we invited him to join us over the weekend.

So a few brave skippers made peace with the devil boat and found that the Captain and crew were as nice as the rest of the staff at Mystic Seaport. Truly and unforgettable Journey.

Won't you join us?
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Re: 2013 Mystic Race Week

Postby greerdr » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:58 pm

I endorse this plan(a Sabino trip) in that it shows our support of the Mystic Seaport mission and vision.
This is an incredible venue with tide and good wind (usually) & visability.
And the visitors seem to really enjoy our racing: a win-win for Mystic and us.
Sabino is 1 of only 2 coal fired steam ships still on the US Registry of ships.Very cool!
Join us, as this is such a wonderful place we will enjoy it in conversation for a long time in the future.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:59 am

LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!

The J National Championships will be kicking off our Mystic Race Week this year followed by our EC12 event (this is also a Colonial Cup Points event as well as a New England Cup points event).

J Nationals:

Based on the turn out we had last time for the J Nationals, I would say this will be a very well attended event this time around as well so dust em' off boys. This will be a great opportunity to show of your building skills and your sailing skills. If you don't own a J boat, then you should come and see what racing the largest class in the AMYA armada looks like first hand. Nothing short of amazing.

EC12:

Mystic is always a favorite and we can usually count on a very high turn out for this event. The race course here can be some of the best sailing in our series.

The best part of both of these events is that the Seaport LOVES us and they will do nearly anything to make our visit and our regatta the best it can be.

NOR for both will be posted shortly!

Won't you join us?
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Well I was really looking forward to making it up to Mystic for my first time sailing EC12s there. I have been there once before in the 80s on a 56 foot ketch, but I never got to step past the marina. Unfortunately for me, unforeseen issues are making it next to impossible for me to make the trip as planned. I guess I will have to put this off until 2014.

Anyway, I don't want that to stop anyone else form going. Not that any of you were planning on going just because I was going to be there. Mystic is must go trip at least once in your sailing endeavors. Be sure to send in your entries ASAP so Chuck and is crew can get a jump on the plans.

The Sabino excursion sounds like great time as well.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:32 am

The NOR and Entry forms for both the EC12 Regatta and the "J" Class National Championship Regatta for the 2013 Mystic Race Week have been posted to the Class Schedule. Here is the quick link, http://www.ec12.org/Regattas/Regatta-Schedule.htm

Sorry there is no on-line form at this time. Gerry Cobley is out of Country at his daughter's wedding and cannot create the form for us right now.

Be sure to down load the PDF files, print them out and send in your entries ASAP. Chuck is planning two great regattas for you all. There is also a nice info PDF on Mystic for those of you who are not familiar with the area.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Entries are now rolling in for Mystic Race Week...

Here is the skippers list as of 8/1

J Class National Championships
Skippers list

Dave Brawner Shamrock
Skip Hall/Bill Ewing Shamrock
Dave Branning Ranger
Tim Stone Endeavour
Dave Ramos Shamrock
Jamey Betz/Nick Mortgu Shamrock
Ken Shaw Shamrock
Biff Martin Ranger
Chuck Luscomb Whirlwind
Kevin MacLellan Shamrock

EC12 Mystic Regatta
Skippers List

Bob Greer FL
David Branning NJ
Skip Hall NJ
Chuck Luscomb CT
Tim Stone VT
Rick West CA
Victor Oberg NJ
Jamey Betz PA
Don Barker MD
Ron Rhault CT
Jack Baldwin CT
Jake Leo FL
Al Dion CT
Kevin MacLellan CT
Phil Tonks VT
Roger Baldwin MD
Jon Pelly CT
Biff Martin MA
David Ramos MD
Alex Ramos MD
Bill Ewing NJ
Bob Shluger CT

Please send them in if your coming... running out of time!
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Dave_Branning » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:44 am

This is for those of you looking for a good time....aren't we all!
Last year Don and Clare Barker and Elaine and I stumbled on Sneekers Café in Groton. Trip Advisors said "it was a must, and don't let the outward appearance discourage you. It's in a strip shopping center." It was a great find as the food was terrific and they feature live music almost every night of the week. They had a 7 piece band when we were there last year that was rockin'. So, as a suggestion, if you arrive on Wednesday for the JClass Nationals the next day, give Sneekers a shot. Elaine and I will be hangin' with the locals. [8D]
I e-mailed the owner and she (Rhonda) said "August 7th is a Jazz Band that starts at 7:00pm and The 9th is a great band called Road Work." See you next week.

http://www.sneekerscafe.net/index.html
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Updated skippers list above,

Looking good so far. Nice turn out of J boats. Should be able to handle 10 on the line with out any problems.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:08 pm

As our event looms just over the horizon, I wanted to pass on some notes about the events both as part of the regatta and those that are not.

Wed afternoon, some J skippers will be gathering at our local pond here in Deep River for some last minuet tuning. I am guessing sometime around 3pm we will get rolling. This is not part of the event but a few of us need all the help we can get. At the moment, it looks like we will have Ken Shaw, Tim Stone, Kevin MacLellan, Chuck Luscomb and Dave Ramos. If you would like to take the drive up and join us, we are about 40min West of the Mystic Area. Contact me via cell below and I will give you directions.

Wed Night, Dave Branning has extended an invitation to those who are in the Mystic area to join him and Elaine for some drinks and dancing at the Sneekers cafe which sounds like a great time. Details on how to get there are above.

Thursday Eve is a cookout at our home in Deep River. The pool will be open as well as the hot tub to ease those aching thumbs. We will serve burgers and beer with all the fixens. See our event Schedule for details and directions.

Friday Eve, for those who might be sticking around after the J Nationals has concluded, some will be taking the Sabino on its traditional Friday Night cruise down to the mouth of the Mystic River. Takes about and hour and a half or so and leaves at 5:30 till 7:00-pm. Please let me know if your interested in taking this trip with us. We had 5 last time and it was a blast. See above!

Saturday Night is our dinner out at the Steak Loft. Food is excellent and reasonably priced. We have 20+ boats registered for our EC12 event and we reserved a group seating for 15-18 people. We have been doing this dinner dutch and we don't have reserve a banquet room, When we have in the past, we were often charged $30 dollars a plate for a limited menu choice and this way, we can accommodate anyone's pallet and about 1/2 the price.

That is it for our regatta activities. Lots to take in including the Seaport of course. Make sure you get down to see the Charles W Morgan that was just relaunched after and extensive hull restoration making her sea worthy once again. She is the last surviving whaling ship and it has been in the care of the Seaport for nearly 50 years. Most of which were not in sailing condition. Quite a site to see if you have never seen her. The Seaport has an extensive cruising schedule for the Morgan. Pretty exciting.

So besides all that I have mentioned above, this will be a very busy week in Mystic. You may need to take a vacation after your visit!

Questions? you can e-mail me at c.luscomb@sbcglobal.net or call my cell at 860-938-2177.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Well, Day 1 of the J Nationals is complete. We had 9 boats that started the day with the threat of rain all day. They rain did not happen and it we had perfect southerly breezes that maxed between noon and one at around 13-15kts. It was truly a pleasure to sail with this group. We sailed 15 races and would you believe that 9 boats finished the day? Not a common occurrence in the J Class at all. Were there a few break downs? Sure but most got them repaired pretty quickly and were back on the water by the next race.

Tomorrow is forecast for more breeze than we had today which may take its toll on the fleet. As of this writing, we have some leaders emerging. The top four look like this..

Dave Ramos Shamrock
Dave Brawner Shamrock
Bill Ewing Shamrock
Chuck Luscomb Whirlwind
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby DBrawner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Day one for EC12's at Mystic. Raw scores through seven races.

1 D Ramos 25
2. A Dion 26
3. J Betz 29
4. J Leo 36
5. A Ramos 48
6. P. Tonks 56
7. D Barker 58
8. B. Greer 62
9. R Rhault 64
10. R Shluger 67
11. D Branning 79
12. R West 81
13. T Stone 89
14. C Luscomb 99
15. R Baldwin 107
16. K Maclellan 109
17. J Baldwin 114
18. J Pelly 117
19. V Oberg 122
20. B Martin 136
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby greerdr » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 am

Thank you David Brawner,Ken,Julia,Lisa and especially Chuck Luscomb & Jack for totally loading their pick-ups with regatta stuff.
Sorry I could not wait to help you unload at Elm St.
Thank you Mary for food prep and support.
This was a challenging venue-tide and interesting wind and many skippers who had spent much of themselves sailing "J"s.
I think we were down to 9 of 20 for the last race.
Alex;we are kindred spirits and I look forward to sailing with you again.
We can beat that old man,if he ever looks away.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:11 am

I see first day results for both the Js and the 12s, where re the final results? I gots to know!
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby The Viking » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 am

What happened to previous reporting "culture" -- almost in class with the current Louis Vitton and Americas Cup reporting! The ink was hardly dry, when results were posted so that we, who for some reason could not attend the event, could follow the racing. As Joe already pointed out, we only have seen first day preliminaries on the EC class; same holds true for the J-class, however the latter closing out three days ago and being the Nationals!!! Good winds, fair sailing and better reporting!
Last edited by The Viking on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Viking

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 am

I agree with Doc, This was a great event that I enjoy each year. Many thanks to the Race Committee for running a wonderful regatta, David, Ken and Lisa, well done. Thank you to Chuck Lusomb for hosting and performing all tasks needed to put these regattas, J Boats and EC12 together. Chuck and Mary, thank you for having us the cookout Thursday evening at your home. Always a great time!! And a big thank you to Mary for lunch Food prep and assisting Chuck.

Lastly a big thanks to all the skippers that I had the pleasure of racing with! This group makes it all worth the travel. Can't wait for the next race.
Tim
Vermont
"Just for Fun" #484
Tim

Next

Return to Regatta Stuff