2013 Green Mountain Regatta Region 1 Champs

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2013 Green Mountain Regatta Region 1 Champs

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Chuck Berry asked that I put in a plug for this event which is just under a month away. The NOR and Entry are located on the regatta schedule page or you can use this link.

http://www.stoweyachtclub.org/

This will be our second stop on the New England Cup Series and will be our Region 1 Championships. Ok, now that we have that out of the way... this is simply a great event which puts your hotel room within yards of the sailing pond (and the bar). Charlie and his team put on an outstanding regatta and it is always good to see everyone.

If you have not made plans to go to this event, you should. We already have a group going up from CT and I know Mr. Brawner will be there to show us the way around. Doc will be there as well as a full compliment of Vermont sailors who we don't see anyplace else. I guess if you live in VT, it is hard to leave, I mean, why would you?

Oh, and don't forget Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream which is right down the road from the hotel!

See you there,
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Re: 2013 Green Mountain Regatta Region 1 Champs

Postby Rick West » Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 am

Yes, the first weekend of June is the Green Mountain every year. Whether it is following Brawner over slick water or the non-stop social, it is a must event. I am driving from The Villages after next weekend to Annapolis just to be in position for the back roads cruise to Stowe. Y'all come. There is a reason for the entry fee, it is a party interrupted by drifting.

Sailing is a pain to do the repetitive paperwork; wish we could do this electronically. Is it that hard to change when the set up has been done for the class? I have not been home since leaving for Atlanta 8 April and will be home 14 and 15 May then off to The Villages to return home the 22nd. The GM closes a few days later. I had to have someone mail a check to Perkins for Villages. PayPal is available 24/7 anywhere in the world.

I will be there Charlie unless the airline Gods or road rage does me in then I will call you. Plug me in somewhere-anywhere and in a tent.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri May 10, 2013 10:52 am

That is a great way to put it Rick...

A great party with wonderful people interrupted by two days of drifting while Mr. Brawner out paces us all. Can't think of a better way to spend time with friends. Found a place for another laugh wrinkle so I will be there.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Mon May 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Rick,
Room with me,Kelli is staying in Maine.
But I will admit to snoring-but not ANYTHING like "Evinrude on the Rocks" another Delta pilot, who is a prince,but sounds like a chainsaw in sleep.
Let me know.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon May 20, 2013 10:46 pm

lol
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue May 21, 2013 1:11 am

Doc, "Evinrude on the Rocks" got enough ribbing from us to last the year. Let's keep his real name a secret, as he is a great guy and we all enjoy his company and his homemade wines and beers. OOOPS, did I just give too much away?
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Who's Coming to Stowe? Always a great party. Better when you leave the boat home. :D
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed May 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Here is the current list of skippers for this event as provided by Mr. Berry. He is expecting a few more entries so we expect to see over 20 boats at this years Region 1 Championship.

19 Registered as of 5/28/13:
TOWNSEND, George
MARTIN, Michael
CHATAIN, Chris Cancelled
GODDARD, Jim
BOUTILLIER, Boots
WEST, Rick
BRAWNER, David
LUSCOMB, Chuck
HILL, Rob
MUELLER, Gary
BRANNING, Dave
BALDWIN, Roger
SKERRY, John
GREER, Bob
MERSEREAU, Bob
NOURJIAN, Bruce
TONKS, Phil
DION, Al
SBORDONE, Richard
SHAW, Ken
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby cberry » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:18 pm

Here's a quick recap of the results. A short, but more formal, report will be submitted to the AMYA Bulletin and a full report to Model Yachting. Yes, Stowe can have wind. And, yes, we must have made the proper offerings to the weather gods for dodging potentially severe storms on both Sat & Sun. We had moderate SW winds both days, with some strong, shifty gusts thrown in just to keep things interesting. (After all, it is Stowe). We used the Class Ranking list, then added one seeding race, prior to the official races. We ran 6 races each day (12 heats) and opted to go with longer 2 1/2 lap races. The wind was consistent enough to basically run the same course for all heats both days.

Dave Brawner and Chuck Luscomb had many very close races with each other. At the end of Saturday, Dave held a four-point lead over Chuck. On Sunday, Dave managed to add an additional four point spread between them. The individual races between them were a lot closer than the final scores showed. We had two skippers from Nova Scotia who are just getting involved with the EC12 class. They sailed their inaugural EC12 regatta at last year's Green Mountain. While each had boat issues last year, we warned the US skippers to keep an eye on these guys. And for good reason. Jim Goddard raced consistently and finished 3rd; Boots Boutillier finished a very respectable 8th. Again, watch out for these guys, Eh?

Just an RC observation worthy of note. Doc Greer and Chuck Luscomb spent a lot of time helping some of the newer sailors who were having boat repair issues. Doc & Chuck should know that their assistance was greatly appreciated by the guys they assisted. We heard many positive comments about the willingness of the more experienced sailors to work with the less experienced. That speaks volumes about the status of the EC12 Class. And, we of the RC thank you all for working through your protests and other potential confrontations on the water. Lots of chatter is a good thing! The Stowe Yacht Club members thoroughly enjoy putting on this regatta for a great group of sailors. Hope to see next year! -- Charlie Berry

1. Dave Brawner 20 pts
2. Chuck Luscomb 28
3. Jim Goddard 59
4. Al Dion 62
5. Bob Greer 72
6. Rick West 72.2
7. Ken Shaw 77
8. Boots Boutillier 81
9. John Skerry 90
10. Rob Hill 98
11. Bruce Nourjian 99
12. Gary Mueller 99
13. Dave Branning 124
14. Phil Tonks 124
15. Jack Baldwin 130
16. JD Langdon 160
17. Roger Baldwin 160
18. George Townsend 184
19. Bob Mersereau 188
20. Mike Martin 205
21. Richard Sbordone 211
Charles T. Berry
cberry

Postby DBrawner » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:50 pm

To the entire Stowe Army that put on a great regatta year after year, THANK YOU AGAIN!! Have the registration forms been posted for next year yet?

While I don't remember the line scores, but I doubt there was a race all weekend where Chuck and I were separated by more than one boat at the finish. Though it was tough on the heart, those battles are what we live for. Chuck, that was fun.

The bad news is that it's 369 days until the next Green Mountain.
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Charles,

A sincere thank you to you and your awesome team for putting on such a great event. The weather was great both days despite what the forecasts were saying. Glad we were able to get in as many races as we did before the skies opened up. Bruce and his team at the Inn were awesome hosts and the food was simply outstanding.

I really had a great time sailing in Stowe and I don't think I have ever worked harder to try and reel in Mr. Brawner but I had to finally concede that he is the master of the waters in Stowe and if I will have to bring something better than my A game next time if I want to beat him. Great Job Dave, you simply had your boat and the pond fully dialed in.

I wish I could take credit for the help Doc and I offered but I think you will find this is how most of the EC12 Class functions at scheduled events. It is not uncommon to see an "All Hands" call for help and it is always given in both hands and parts. What ever we can do to keep someone sailing and smiling, we do as a class. I have been the recipient of it many times and I know Doc has as well. We are just paying it forward as it should be. That said, I will say that I enjoy assisting Doc in "Surgery" as we work well together under pressure. Good fun.

Look forward to seeing more from the Canadian guys as both Boots and Jim were sailing very well and a pleasure to sail with. Hopefully they can make it down to Mystic this August.

Thanks again Charles for doing what you do.

PS as I hit the Post button on this submission I noticed that DB had posted at nearly the same time and edged me out and got his in before me. DAVE, STOWE IS OVER!!!! HAHAHA

Chuck
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:35 pm

and 7 seconds is about right for his lead.
am working on photos,should be up soon;thank you Lisa Brawner for your great work.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 am

Three men and three ladies along the lake. Bruce's business management with a superb dinning and kitchen staff. Equals fair sailing and a comfortable regatta experience. Well Done Stowe :D
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm

A super thanks to the Stowe crew for another outstanding regatta!
This one really got top marks for good wind and the usual superb management.
Thank you Bruce for all you and the Commadore crew do to make this such an enjoyable week-end.The food was GREAT as it always is.
Pictures are on my picasa web site,and as I am really not very good at doing this web stuff -please go to any previous posting of my pix(regatta stuff) or await Joe putting up a link.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby bigfoot55 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Next

Return to Regatta Stuff