2013 Region 3A/Gone With the Wind Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2013 Region 3A/Gone With the Wind Regatta

Postby skip241 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm

WOW!!! Wait till you read what John Muhlhausen and the Atlanta Yacht Club have planned for this year's regatta.

Look at what is included with your entry fee:

Friday night Welcome Party with spaghetti, beer and wine
Saturday and Sunday continental breakfasts
Saturday and Sunday lunches
Complimentary beer and wine hour after Saturday races
Saturday night BBQ with games and prizes
Improved control area for skippers
Prizes for the top five finishers
A limited number of complimentary cabins on club grounds for first come first served skippers
Extraordinary event management coordinated by numerous Atlanta Yacht Club members

Take a look at the promotional flyer created by John at the following link.

http://www.ec12.org/Regattas/2013/GWTW_Promo.pdf

This regatta will be one for the books!

The NOR and entry form will be loaded to the regatta schedule page in the next few weeks.

For more information, contact John Muhlhausen at jmuhl@att.net

Skip Allen
Atlanta
skip241

Re: 2013 Region 3A/Gone With the Wind Regatta

Postby kahle67 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Looking forward to visiting the new clubhouse and sailing again on Lake Allatoona. I will be there and expect the turnout to be great from Dixie and Florida. Too bad Liberty Bell is the same weekend as I had been "talking this one up" with some of the northern boys.
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Frandito » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:27 am

A few of us from Sun City are actually "leaving the compound" and will be competing.

My app is in.
Do i get the prize for the first entry?
( That will likely be my only prize!)
Victim of Soicumstances #2091
Frandito

R3a Championship / GWTW Regatta

Postby Little Fig » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:19 pm

The NOR and Entry Form have been posted on our site this weekend, thanks to Tom's assistance :D ..... and Tom's Entry Form has been received today and he will get the first cabin. So don't delay in getting your completed Entry Form to me if you wish a free pad to snuggle up. AYC is closed during the week to regatta guests, however, I will have the gate open by noon Friday April 12 for those of you wishing to come early and get your hulls wet. I look forward to having you sail with us on our "big pond".

John Muhlhausen 2112
Little Fig

Postby Rick West » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 am

John is getting mine today at his home.

AYC is north of I-75 at exit 277 with hotels and eating places on both sides. You won't need the latter. I will be 8 miles south in Kennesaw at the Red Roof. The AYC facilities were the best I have seen even before the rebuilding of the clubhouse. (For those that remember days past at our top venue at Lake Norman; this is a far higher level.) The hospitality is over the top with little out of pocket for the competitors both Friday and Saturday. It is rare to have fully capable people wondering around looking for something to help with, as the event garners the full support of the yacht club.

The properties of the sailing will be what it will be like anywhere. It is lake sailing but the first part of April is not a concern. The beauty of the location and the management of the event is a must show for Dixie clubs and well worth a road trip beyond. My sailing for the season was planned around this one when it was announced last fall. The Regional means nothing, as there will be plenty of good friends there we all know . If Bluffton and Jacksonville bring a van load, it will be sweeter and looking forward to the fun. Y'all Come...
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Little Fig » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am

Hello skippers,

Registration has been open for 11 days and so far the following have made their comment to join us on our "big pond":

Tom Phillips
Fran DiTommaso
Tim Crowley
Rick West
Martin Gray
Ian Elliott
Rita Fullick
Chris Johnston
Mike Moore
YOU ?

Remember the early birds get the available comp. cabins.

John
Little Fig

Postby Rick West » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Hello, wake up call. Race day is a month away and courtesy calls for your entry as early as possible. Your host is planning two dinners, two lunches and two Continental breakfasts. They also have on site cabins available first come first serve that are free lodging. Give John a heads up so his team can be prepared. This is a very special event with lots of support and preparations by the Atlanta Yacht Club.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby dplin2001 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Sent mine in. wish I stay in the cabins, but my son's birthday is that weekend so I'll be driving home each day.
Dave
dplin2001

Postby dictater » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Becky and i are looking forward to celebrating our first year wedding anniversary in Atlanta both sailing in the regatta [8D]
dictater

Postby Little Fig » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Here is our current "Whos Who" list of registered skippers:
Tom Phillips
Fran DiTommaso
Tim Crowley
Rick West
Martin Gray
Ian Elliott
Rita Fullick
Chris Johnston
Mike Moore
David Linville
Alan Perkins
Baron Bremer
Alan Morris
Reichard Kahle
Rick Gerry
Becky Gerry
Bob Larsen

Where are you:
Joe
Bob
Tom
Jim
Fred
Jon
Al
Chris and
John?

We look forward to sailing against you, but can't if you don't register! :cry: Yes, we still have cabins available.

John
Little Fig

Postby greerdr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Please add me to entries.
What a stellar event plan !
Not to mention an OUTSTANDING fleet.
Kelli & I are looking forward to seeing Y'all there.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Doc, you might get a nosebleed up here but it will be great to visit with you. It is great to see the response for the effort made by AYC and it will truly be an epic event in Dixie on both sides of the regatta; sailing competition with wonderful socials and one of the least expensive to the competitor because of the schedule of events and cabin freebies. It is the best value for an entry of $45 I have seen. I will be there a day early to make sure I will be there after a 2400 miles drive. Where are the boys from Bluffton, Raleigh and the Burlington areas? Y'All Come!
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:45 pm

We are looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the crew.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Little Fig » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 pm

OK guys it's 23 days to the opening bell of the first race and time to begin our fun.

I have dusted off my "old crystal ball" to see who will win this event and become our new Regional 3A Champ. And lo and behold, it is a surprise! Becky Gerry, in celebration of her first wedding anniversary, will hit all the shifts correctly and will win out right. Tom Phillips will recover from a good Saturday night party, bang the corners in the final race and nudge out Baron for 5th overall. So my predictions are: Becky Gerry,1st, Rick Gerry, 2nd, Reichard Kahle, 3rd, Alan Perkins, 4th, and Tom Phillips, 5th.

Crazy you say . . . well is your ball is better than mine? OK, go ahead and post your predictions here by April 8th. During the trophy presentation we will see who has the best prediction. In case of a tie, the earliest post date will win. To the winner will be handed a fifth of Mount Gay Rum. You must sail the regatta and be present to win.

I still think I am gonna win, 'cause I love Mount Gay!

John
Last edited by Little Fig on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Fig

Postby bigfoot55 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:14 pm

We wrapped 'em all in a mains'l tight
with Twice ten turns of a hausers bight
And we heaved 'em over and out of sight
with a Yo heave ho and fare you well
And a sullen plunge in a sullen swell
Ten fathoms deep on the road to hell
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL