PUNTA GORDA REGATTA DEC 3&4 2011

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby hedderick » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:00 pm

As Jon mentioned, the course was short and the first mark was often tucked in a corner.
However, the worst pile up was simply my fault. I approached the first mark on port with one boat on my left hip and two behind and to my right. The four of us were approaching at a high speed and then got lifted up towards the mark. I ended up entering the four boat circle on port. This is my RED zone. Danger. With the boat on my left hip, I realized I'd have to sail past the mark and wait for that inside boat to tack. I focused real hard on the relative distance and speed of that near boat. I focused on keeping my own boat speed up. As we were just about abreast of the mark I hear STARBOARD.....YIKES! A starboard tack boat I had not even seen. I tried in vain to rapidly tack onto Starboard. Fortunately there was no severe boat contact, but my rig got tangled with someone and then others got caught up in the mess. I retired from the race and others got redress. My lessen learned is to keep looking out in front of your boat. Especially when entering a RED zone where your rights and bail out options are few.
I failed to see a starboard tack boat. My eyes and thoughts were glued to my boat. I failed to look out in front of my own boat and get the big picture.

Richard Hedderick
hedderick

Postby greerdr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Dick,thank you for a great (and humble)lesson in how we should sail.
Your retirement and permitting others redress is how we need to behave!
We have all been caught up in sailing a "match-race" with the boats near to us and forget the fleet race we should be sailing.
Again Dick,thanks for being the gentleman and helping us all remember we want to sail together by the rules and have a great time.
Looking forward to Naples and the SUPER Friday night you have planned for us.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:35 pm

To all, my internet connection has been out since Wednesday. I am just getting all the news and emails I have missed. Jack Ward sent me the report and I will post them this weekend along with the Florida Standings updated.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby abacojim » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:03 pm

See some racing action on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMRscXgx03k

Jim
abacojim

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff