What are they using?

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

What are they using?

Postby S-Boat » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:51 pm

I would like to see a list of what is being used at this years Nationals, Hull, mast, sails, etc. Any chance one of you skippers down at the regatta this weekend get a chance to take a poll on equipment for us newcomers?

Thanks, Bill Beebe (Rhode Island)
Soon to be boat owner.
S-Boat

Postby DBrawner » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Bill,
Sorry that I didn't see this post until just now. My boat is a hull that I built in 2001 with a well worn balsa deck. I use Danny Thomas sails, an RMG Smartwinch, Futaba servos, Ludwig spar and a Futaba 6EX radio.

The only change that I'd make with a new boat is to use a foam core deck just because it's an easier build.

DB
DBrawner

Postby s vernon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Dave et al,

I think Bill is probably looking for the exact servo like Futaba S9350 or S9351 on the rudder, etc.

For Bill. I believe many of the top boats have been in service without problems for quite a few years, so they do not necessarily have the servos installed that the owner would install today in a new build.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:55 pm

I read this as I was preparing to leave for the NCR and then forgot about it till these new posts.

What every one is using at the nationals and along the regatta circuit is essentially the same; equipment and rigging that works well and is reliable. One cannot compete while dealing with maintenance issues and poorly conditioned batteries. Bearing this in mind, simplicity and longevity in wear under stress scores points at a regatta and has nothing to with speed. Speed is not part of winning or posting a good score. It is preparation and good tactical judgment in the water. Then there is luck. I tend to think we make our own luck from our judgment. I am reminded in my studies of Gettysburg and George Pickett. He was one of the few survivors of his division following the morning charge across the peach orchard on a white horse wearing his famed plumed hat and commanding expressions with a glittering sword. He should have been killed. That is luck through no effort on his part. This is rare in sailing for the shipper plays a part regardless of the blame.

An 11 time national champion once stated that winning is 20% boat and luck and 80% skipper. That said, the boat should be the best it can be but it is not in speed but reliability. Otherwise, the skipper cannot perform.

David Brawner is a two time national champion. His boat is not remarkable; it is the audience behind his eyes.

Bill, if you have a need for specific models in a product, Discussions is the place to ask. You will find it is a narrow band of proven products and the models change often forced more by the manufacturer's in their marketing than that it is better this year than last.

The building site has been neglected but section still present the preference in building that works regardless of the model number changes on the store shelves.

Discussions here are to help with this and the class shares.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby S-Boat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks for all the great information, it looks like I have found a good reliable boat to purchase. Can't wait to meet everyone next year on the water.
Thanks again, Bill B.
S-Boat

Postby DBrawner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Bill,
Welcome to the fleet. We'll be sailing a one day regatta at Redd's Pond next Spring sometime. Please join us for the fun.

DB
DBrawner

Return to Regatta Stuff