Villages Gator Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby Alan Perkins » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 pm

OK, wot a weekend trying to get a decent course with the wind on your back. We at the Villages have a great lake for running a regatta when the wind is anything but Northerly, well guess what folks the wind was northerly all weekend. Decided on running one fleet when the numbers dropped to 20 boats and apart from a major log jam on the last race when a few tempers flared it was a great success. In 21 races we had 8 different race winners the most memorable being in the 17th race when Frank Novak got his first bullet. It was great to have the slimmed down Joe Walter back in the fleet after a years absence and he showed he had not lost any of his previuos magical skills by having no less than 6 bullets and winner the Regatta by only 1.8 points over Dick Hedderick. Many Rules issues were aired and Ken Morrison did his best to remind skippers of the rules and hopefully many lessons will have been learned and will carry over to the rest of the seasons Regatta's.
Full results:

Joe Walter 60.4 pts
Dick Hedderick 62.2 pts
Dr Robert Greer 82 pts (Pictures to follow)
Baron Bremer 98
Ricky Gerry 115
Jack Ward 125.8
Jon Luscomb 127
John Steacy 157
Dick Reinke 166
Martin Gray 181
Bud Elder 211
Al Stall 215
Brenda Pardee 216
Frankie Novak 219
Jim Pardee 221
Denis Futterlieb 242
Jerry Fernald 267
Jim Rutherford 284
Laura Novak 293
John Harrington 360

I understand that Rick West complained about not having any results last night, my appologies.

Thanks everyone who turned out to the 7th Gator Regatta but regretably it sounds like this may be the last one for a while, probably not till 2013 the way the new schedule is panning out.
Alan Perkins

Postby bigfoot55 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:24 pm

There are open dates in CY 2012. If a club wants to host a regatta, we can probably find a date. If you want a copy of the master schedule, let me know.

Tom P
bigfoot55

Postby Rick West » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:48 pm

HE'S BAAACK!

Sorry, I get mail and it is passed down the line.

What are thought to be bad winds often shows the concentration.

Oops, I missed the photos. Doc?

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 pm

look in your inbox.
Sent @0100 GMT.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm

This was a great event with a wind problem. As you all know, we sail from the shore and the shape of our lakes often limit what can be done to make a course fair and challenging to the skippers. Alan did a masterful job of giving us the best course possible with the wind we got.

20 boats was a risk and it showed a few times at some really crowded mark roundings. But I think it worked okay and we got in a lot of long heats.

Yes tempers flared a little, including my own. Ken Morrison did a great job of teaching some important parts of some of the rules and I hope we see cleaner roundings the rest of the season. The most import thing to remember is that when other boats get the mark ahead of you and you close in on them from a puff, take the long way around and not try to jam yourself into the boats ahead. It makes for a much more enjoyable race for everyone.

To all, I really appreciated the warm welcome back to sailing. It meant a lot to me. And in defense of Rick West, his was not so much a complaint, but a prodding to get the news out. We need to get the word out on daily results at all the regattas.

Thanks again to Alan and his crew for doing a terrific job.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am

Photos courtesy of Doc Greer.

[url][/url]https://picasaweb.google.com/105219775925901981186/Villages2011GatorRegatta?feat=email#
bigfoot55

Postby greerdr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Alan Perkins,RD,took those great photos!
Thank you again Alan,Liz,Becky and the rest of the Villages crew for running another great regatta.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby greerdr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Best written report of a regatta ever posted.
Bravo Zulu Alan!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby IrishAye » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by greerdr</i>

Best written report of a regatta ever posted.
Bravo Zulu Alan!

R.C.Greer
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Alan...You certainly have set one hell of a standard for future RD's to live up to with The Villages Regatta report.....Congrats on a most enlightening report.

Martin

Irish-aye
IrishAye

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff