Region 4 Championship

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Region 4 Championship

Postby fvracer1 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:45 pm

I am proud to announde the Region 4 Championship for the EC12 Class yacht. Venue will be Camp Dearborn again. NOR avaialble at www. DMYC.org. Payments appreciated by Paypal or by mail. May 21-23, 2010.

Hope to see you there.....

Frank Vella

"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby fvracer1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:28 am

The Region 4 Regatta is in danger of being cancelled or postponed.
As of this morning, I only have 3 boats registered. Rick West, Margarita Mike and myself. Please drop me an email if you plan on entering. I have had several verbal commits, but no entries received,
The regatta is less than a month away.... I need a dozen to make it happen......

If no other entries received, please see above for the three Nationals qualifiers from Region 4..... ;-)
Frank Vella

fvracer1

Postby fvracer1 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 pm

The Region 4 regatta is a go as I now have 15 entered skippers :

Gary Mueller
Chris Chatain
Rob Hill
Paul Delaney (CAN)
Michael Mulroy
Bill Parker
Bob Armbruster
James Hale
Frank Vella
Gerhard Kelter (SWE)
Bernard Pepin (CAN)
Rick West
Greg Pare (CAN)
Ken Miller (CAN)
Kerry Pebbles

We are still accepting entries. If you want an event t-shirt, please contact me no later than Thursday as the order will be finalized then.

Frank Vella

fvracer1

Postby Rick West » Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Saturday conditions nil to 1 MPH with light rain at times. Races took an hour on a slick and undisturbed surface. Gerhard Kelter found whatever air there was in a stellar performance of sailing and patience. Scoring was not available to the fleet at the end of the day. Sunday promises similar sailing conditions from a different direction.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Rick West » Sun May 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Today we had breezes and sunshine. It was Glorious. I am sure Frank Vella will post later with the whole list and scores.

Gerhard Kelter posted 36 points for 24 races...an outstanding performance. He used the same rig in the 0-1 MPH yesterday and 5-7 today, an A rig with <b><u>TS50 sails</u></b>. Amazing.
Rick West
Rob Hill of Chicago
Bernie Pepin (CAN)
Jim Hale local

Thanks to Ted Flack for officating, Frank Vella as host and many helpers.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby fvracer1 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks Rick for the quick update and atteding our event.....

As Rick described in an earlier post, yesterday was abysmal with little to no winds, overcast, drizzle and we still got 9 races in. as the old saying goes I spent week sailing yesterday....

Sunday was sunny with winds out of the South at 7-10. DMYC race Committee headed by Ted Flack did a wonderful job of setting courses and keeping everything moving.....

Twenty four total races with four throwouts. Racing was extremely competetive with almost everybody getting a bullett but me....

Final results:
Kelter 36.5
West 67
Hill 95
Pepin(CAN) 110
Hale 124
Mueller 130
Mulroy 135
Pare (CAN) 150 *
Pebbles 150
Parker 173
Armbruster 179
Vella 180
Delaney (CAN) 182
Chatain 197
Miller (CAN)DNF

I would also like to thank our friends from across the border for making this a viable event....Hope everyone had a nice time. I know they all enjoyed Margarita Mike's handiwork after sailing Saturday....

Frank Vella

fvracer1

Postby Rick West » Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 pm

On reflection, I want to compliment the fleet for their considerations and communications on the water and the spirit of sportsmanship and self rule. It was a great pleasure to sail with all of you. And again my compliments to Ted Flack for wading through our intent to the right thing on the water. It makes a difference in a regatta.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby deafsail » Fri May 28, 2010 8:19 pm

cong!to gehard kelter 's tri 50 sails.Who s sailmaker .

Baron
EC12-81[:D]
deafsail

Postby s vernon » Sat May 29, 2010 10:33 am

I'll go out on a limb and guess who made all of Gerhard's sails. Not listed on the suppliers page.

http://www.myrc.org/bobsterne.htm

Scott
s vernon

Postby fvracer1 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Scott, I am pretty sure they were not West Coast 12 sails, i would have noticed the sailmker's logo..... i believe they came from Ohio....

fvracer1

Postby cchatain » Sun May 30, 2010 11:33 pm

What struck me about Gerhardt's sails was the fullness in the head of the main and the amount of mainsail twist he sailed with upwind. Also, his use of a jib traveller that ALWAYS had the jib trimming well off the centerline. The draft in the jib was pretty far forward, with not a very deep chord.

On day two I tried to trim my jib and main in a somewhat similar fashion, by cranking in on the jumpers to keep what fullness there was in the main while I increased backstay tension. Seemed to help in that totaly flat water, with some very light spots on the beats.
Mostly, though, he just sailed more cleverly than the rest of us.

--- Chris
cchatain

Postby s vernon » Mon May 31, 2010 3:17 pm

jib traveller? There is only one person I know of who has a jib traveller on his boat and maybe on an old spare boat as well.

That sounds like Gerhard borrowed a boat from Gary Mueller. Very sophisticated set-up, especially on the red boat I saw several years ago at the Naples FL Regional. There is or used to be a picture of one of Gary's boats with jib traveller (black boat) on Paul Proefrock's pages. I miss those pictures.

This is a picture of Gerhard's boat with Bob Sterne sails on that site. Some pages still come up.
http://ec12.net/images/Bldg_Ideas/Sails/Rig1.jpg

Scott
s vernon

Postby cchatain » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:54 am

Yes he did borrow a boat of Gary. I'm a rank novice when it comes to sailing EC-12's but I know a lot about boats and trim over the years. So I'm an eager student of this class.
I am impressed to see the leeway that an EC12 makes, especially in light, stop and go conditions upwind. While in many big boats we have been learning to sail with narrower and narrower jib sheeting angles, I does seem logical to me that in EC's the flatter jib, wider sheeting angle makes sense. Certainly for acceleration, keep-the-boat-moving as puff hits.
cchatain

Postby Swedish Viking » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by deafsail</i>

cong!to gehard kelter 's tri 50 sails.Who s sailmaker .

Baron
EC12-81[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Swedish Viking

Postby Swedish Viking » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Sorry - hit the wrong button for response.

Now got caught in another 'client matter' -- so response to the sail maker mystery will have to wait!

Amazed however as to the speculations!

Rusty
Swedish Viking

Return to Regatta Stuff