Mystic Seaport Regatta Region 1 Championships

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Mystic Seaport Regatta Region 1 Championships

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:44 am

The NOR for the Region 1 Championships has been posted and we are now taking registrations for this awesome event.

Mystic Seaport offers one of the most picturesque sailing venues on the East Coast. This is also an opportunity for those wishing to earn a seat at the Nationals to show their metal. The top 5 finishers will earn a spot for St Augustine in November.

The Best Western Hotel Mystic is offering rooms at a discounted rate for this event. They are located just North of I-95 and only 3/4 of a mile from the sailing site. Normally 179/night peak season, the rate is $89/night for Thursday and Friday and $109 for Saturday. Make sure to mention you are with the East Coast 12m Class when booking your room.

Hope to see you there!!!

Chuck Luscomb
Regatta Chair
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:55 am

Late Breaking News...

I have gotten word from Bob Sennott who builds J boats and is planning on sailing with us on Friday that he is bringing three more J boats for any EC12 or any other skipper that would like to try their hand at sailing one of these majestic creatures. Alan Kew is also bringing a couple of extra boats so if anyone would like to add a J boat to their trip to Mystic, let me know as they will be available on a first come first serve basis.

<b>As of 7/20, we have capped the number of J boats at 11! </b> Thanks to everyone who signed up!

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:31 am

Thanks to everyone who made the trip to Mystic this year. Some excellent sailing with some awsome folks! I have not laughed that hard for some time. I had to ask for a 5 min hold just to catch my breath!

Here is the complete list of finishers! Great job guys...

EC12's

1- Dave Ramos
2-Bruce Walton
3-Bob Greer
4-Chuck Luscomb
5-Chuck Poindexter
6-Jake Leo
7-Dave VanCleef
8-Kevin MacLellen
9-Brian Jobson
10-Phil Tonks
11-Jon Luscomb
12-Gib Loesel
13-Al Dion
14-Tim Stone
15-Ken Koehler
16-Ed Walton
17-Cal Wilcox
18-Jeff Davenport
19-John Skerry

J's

1-Dave Brawner (Shamrock)
2-Gary Mueller (Ranger)
3-Bruce Walton (Ranger)Team Q
4-Dave Ramos (Shamrock)
5-Alan Kew (Whirlwind)Team Q
6-Chuck Luscomb (Endeavour) Team Biff
7-Jon Luscomb (Ranger)Team Q
8-Phil Tonks (Endeavour)Team Q
9-Biff Martin (Ranger)Team Biff
10-John Skerry (Enterprise)
11-Tim Stone (Yankee)Team Q

A full regatta report to follow...

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby DBrawner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:55 pm

The top five at Mystic this weekend were:

1 Dave Ramos
2 Bruce Walton
3 Bob Greer
4 Chuck Luscomb
5 Chuck Poindexter.

A huge thank you to all that made my RD job so much easier...the three wonderful ladies that took the finishes and did all of the scoring..Judy Skerry, Ally Van Cleef and Sue Jobson. The mark setters and chase boat operators...John Skerry, Ron Rhault, Mark Benedict and Bill from Dry Pants Model Yacht Club. Thank you Chuck Luscomb for putting the event together.

We got 11 two lap races in on Saturday. Our goal was 12 but a late day wind shift and way too much sun made it a better choice to stop short of our goal. The racing was windward leeward on the other side of the channel. There was a fair amount of squinting going on. The skippers did a fine job.

Today was a bit more difficult. No, it was a lot more difficult. The wind had shifted to the North, 180 degrees to the prior day and then just dissipated. After two really light air races, we took a break and let the breeze fill back from the South...kind of.

So the scene for the next three races was a large fleet sailing right to left to a windward mark that was well off shore. That is generally bad enough to cause havoc. Now, throw in a strong tide against boats as they come to the mark. To put it mildly, there were some less than stellar mark roundings. As we moved the windward marks more to the right, the skippers had a better chance of a clean rounding.

We finished the day with 8 races, which brought us to 19 for the weekend. It was a pleasure to meet a bunch of new friends. The Dry Pants Model Yacht Club has a really good thing going. Looking forward to next year.
DBrawner

Postby greerdr » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:56 pm

Super job,wonderful venue and great people.I can't say enough in thanks to the New England group.
Here are some pix (I hope). Let me know if they are not accessible.
http://picasaweb.google.com/greerdr/Reg ... mpionship#
You have to struggle thru the awesome J,s before the 12's.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:02 pm

I must agree with Doc. The regatta(s) were fantastic. I am a newbie, did a couple of good things and did alot of dumb things. A great learning experience that I know will help work up in the fleet. I love those J-Class yachts...gorgeous! All who participated were very welcoming and laughed at my stupid jokes. Boy did we laugh at the Ground Round! She was a force to be reconned with I think we would all agree. [;)] I can't wait to do the next one. Thanks to all of the race volunteers and the R.D. Brawner you did a great job keeping heads cool and keeping all of us in it and paying attention. Chuck Luscomb did a great job organizing the venue at Mystic and at his house. Congrats to Ramos, my new brother....see you all at Sun City![:D]

I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost.
Jon Luscomb

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:54 pm

I have to agree with Doc Greer & Jon. It was great weekend and venue for sailing our borrowed or owned "Toy Boats". Chuck L., Allen Kew, thankyou for letting me have an opurtunity to sail "Yankee" even if it was only a few races.

David Brawner and company did a wonderful job keeping things running smoothly. Thanks to all the skippers who helped durring the weekend and helped me get "Just for Fun" dialed in Saturday. She was running so much better on Sunday. Now maybe I can start working on the skipper and get him with the program. Ha Ha!

The cook-out at Chuck's house Friday evening was alot of fun. Dinner party at the Ground Round was wonderful Saturday night. And yes we laughed at the Bar afterward didn't we, Jon. Wowww!!

Tim
"Just for Fun"
Tim

Postby Jon Luscomb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:18 am

Check out Scuttlebutt issue #2917. I wrote a quick blurb to the editor and he posted it and wants more of future regattas...I also rewrote the article for Sailing Anarchy and it might make it in tomorrows issue 8-28-09

Best
Jon Luscomb

I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost.
Jon Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:09 pm

The Regatta report is now posted!

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Regatta Stuff