Region 4 Regatta in jeopardy

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Region 4 Regatta in jeopardy

Postby fvracer1 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:08 am

I am now returned from FL and I have a DMYC Board meeting next Tuesday. I have permission to host the regatta if I can get 10 entries, otherwise the Board is suggesting pulling the plug. If you are planning on entering , please notify me at fvracerone1@aol.com by next Tuesday Noon.

Enties so far;

Paul Delaney (CAN)
Jim Hale
Chris Chatain
Mike Mulroy
Frank Vella
Kerry Pebbles (entry in the mail)
Ed Atkinson
Ken Miller (CAN)
Bernie Pepin (CAN)

THIS IS A QUALIFIER FOR THE NATIONALS.....

"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby fvracer1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:06 pm

The race will go on, but the venue has changed to Seymour Lake, directly behind my home. It will be a two day regatta with skippers meeting at 9:455AM and first cannon at 10:00 AM. Boats and rigs may be left in the pole barn if not wanting to take them home saturday. Mama Vella (aka Linda, my better half) will be making spaghetti (my sauce recipe) and garlic bread for lunch Sunday....maybe a little vino too....

There are only 9 boats registered so three skippers will get invites to the Nationals. I am considering sailing in the Worlds under the Malta Boat Club burgee....

XR4

fvracer1

Postby cchatain » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:11 am

Looking forward to it. My brother Peter always said that the best way to prevent premature starters in a sailboat race was for the starting cannon/gun to use real shot and aim it straight down the starting line, right at bow level.

--- Chris
cchatain

Postby fvracer1 » Sun May 03, 2009 4:42 pm

RESULTS IN FROM SEYMOUR LAKE......

Skippers traveled from the Midwest and Canada to compete in the Region 4 Championship for the EC12 Class. Skippers arrived at the home of Detroit MYC Commodore Frank Vella to contest the Championship. Saturday started off with winds out of the South at 5-7 but it was soon becoming apparent that winds were building. Race Director Ted Flack called a postponement so skippers could switch to their B rigs. Winds were now in excess of 20 mph and smarter heads prevailed and it was decided to end racing after eight races. Mike Mulroy was at the back of his vehicle mixing margaritas again...... Day 1 Leader was Ken Miller of the Windsor ON MYC with Chris Chatain from Chicago sitting in second, and Jim Hale from Detroit MYC in third. All the skippers enjoyed Linda Vella's secret recipe chili and salads. Frank was firing up hot dogs on the grill.
Skippers arrived Sunday to a becalmed Lake Seymour. Some sailors scurried to mount up their 505's A rigs. Making steady progress through the field was host Vella, with a couple of bullets. Linda was firing up the grill again and it was decided by all to end with 18 races. The winner was Ken Miller, there was a tie for 2nd between Frank Vella and Jim Hale, Frank eeked out a 2nd place due to higher throw outs, Fourth was Chris Chatain, and hometown favorite "Margarita Mike Mulroy was fifth Paul Delaney, Ed Atkinson and Bernie Pepin rounded out the top eight. Perhaps sailing all winter with the Naples MYC and the Florida EC12 Association paid off for the top two skippers..... Please keep the US auto industry in your hearts and buy American....

fvracer1

Postby cchatain » Mon May 04, 2009 2:27 pm

For the regatta that almost didn't happen, I am happy to report that: (a) it did happen and (b) it happened in a most excellent manner. Frank Vella (and his wife Linda) organized a truly terrific event, supported by Ted Flack who cheerfully gave up his weekend (but not the neighborhood Eucre game) to be the Race Director.

This was my very first EC-12 regatta. I learned many things:

> gosh, how I love those port tack approaches to the windward mark, but boy, are they a mess with the 4-boat length circle, 20 knot gusts with A-rigs, and marks placed a long, long way away.

> Note to self: keep practicing crash dives below a row of on-coming starboard tackers

> Don't try to hit a homerun at the starting line in every race

> Big day-glow orange marks really play havoc with your depth perception

> Don't hit marks

> Boat racing is not ice hockey; no checking is allowed

> Don't hit other boats when sailing around between races

> Don't hit other boats when racing

> Bring a supply of new booms to replace those you break on the boats you do hit when sailing around between races

> Remember that the "mast abeam" is no longer in effect

> Remember not to hit other boats

> Finally, as the Gold Standard for Retirement, etch in your memory Frank's garage, with the rafters full of RC airplanes, a dozen or more RC sailing models just ready to go (EC-12's, IOM's, Footies, modern and vintage Marbleheads, One Meters, and the rest) surrounded by a very fully equipped workshop.

Thank you to Frank, Ted, and all the fine competitors I was priviledged to sail with.

--- Chris Chatain
AMYA 7984, Chicago RC Model Yacht Club
cchatain

Postby IanHB » Thu May 14, 2009 8:34 pm

<font color="red">"Frank eeked out a 2nd place due to higher throw outs, "</font id="red">

Someone may need to check the validity of this practice.
It used to be that you could only use the counting races for a "Tie Break " decision.
I know because I lost a shared championship win because it was applied unlawfully at that time (1986 )
Things may have changed.
I am prepared to be enlightened. [:D]

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby fvracer1 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 pm

I erred in saying there was a tie. Raw scores, both Jim and I had 62 total poimts Jim's throwouts were a 6 and a 7. I had 2 7th p;ace finishes as my throwouts. I prevailed by 1 point.

fvracer1

Return to Regatta Stuff