On not being able to register unregistered Ozmun

Plans, Books, Websites, Parts, Suppliers
Maybe we can find an answer for you.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

On not being able to register unregistered Ozmun

Postby s vernon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Everyone else seems to be on the same page on this and accepts the above as truth. I read ec12.info and I believe what I read which is that is does seem to be very possible to register an old unregistered Ozmun.

Why couldn't someone follow these simple steps and register and race an old never registered Ozmun?

1. Go to the registration page of the ec12.info website
2. Read the words:
· "Unregistered hulls and boats cannot be registered without verification they were approved at the time of manufacture."
3. Look inside the boat and see the manufacturer's sticker that verifies that the manuacturer approved the hull at time of manufacture.
4. Have a chat with Rick West and tell him you have such and such a boat and it has a manufacturer's sticker inside that says what it says.
5. Get his agreement that you can indeed register your boat.
6. Fill out form and send in form and money.
7. Receive YRN in the mail and glass it inside the hull.
8. Race the boat at regattas.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:53 pm

It is because of other similar things and I have reached a point of fielding emails and calls from every dumpster diving find, attic clearance and estate discovery. All see what looks like an EC12, or were told it was an EC12 and even specifics, later to be told by me it is not. Who is the bad guy – me and the class.

The far majority of these are from Florida. Florida has the largest population of EC12s in the country and has for a long time. It would not surprise me that half again as many EC12s that we know about are many that are owned by individuals that have never been in AMYA or care to be. They like others pass away and the boats end up on the market just like the ones that are on eBay.

This has been going on for years and worse when there were knock off molds in several places in the state. Until one sits in this chair with all the responsibility to maintain the heritage and scope of this class can it be appreciated the number of times it is attacked by these requests then to pass judgment that is rarely popular. I still get yelled at about the Dumas.

The attitudes have been in the quest for proliferation to allow a non-supporting group of people to use our playground with the hopes they will join the mainstream. Only rarely does this work and the majority grow over the years and because the boats out live the people it snowballs.

The negatives keep piling up so that some can get a cheap boat that is not competitive, gives it up for a new one and passes it on down the line. It is not worth it in the field and it is not worth it here. About half of what I do in class business is researching and typing in regards to lots of these requests. AMYA membership dues, numbers, registering new hulls and transferring registered boats are easy work and where the majority of the growth is at. These are all on the same page and in the interest of the class.

I am not saying an emphatic NO! If the class wants to go this way then there needs to be a following and a leadership to take it in another direction. I am moving more and more to partnerships in organized RC sailing and away from patronizing wannabes that do not care to share the load.

I have done the amnesty thing. I have been down the path of compassionate listener. I have taken many turns answering why $25 a year against the statement “What does it do for me.â€
Rick West

Postby tallastro » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm with Scott in not understanding your position. I don't see how the AMYA status of the previous owner matters. If someone is trying to register a hull, the current owner is AMYA. I don't understand what you're trying to say in the 4th paragraph. Who's the non-supporting group?

If the issue is not being able to reliably identify hulls built during a manufacturer's class approved run, that I can understand. Does the class have records from the manufacturers of all hulls built to class specs or just the ones sold to AMYA members? Can hulls that meet spec be distinguished from knockoffs?

Not complaining or whining, just wondering.

John
tallastro

Postby greerdr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:52 pm

I think I understand the Class Sec's reasoning here.Why do we want to register boats of questionable or doubious pasts into a fleet that has invested a great deal of time, money, and effort into an approved EC-12 Class mold that is uniform and equal. Several builders, who in my opinion, sell a super product for a very reasonable price.
The class was open for quite a period to register these "orphans".Now they are not welcome.Use them for your mantle decoration.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Documentation & Suppliers