EC 12 Transporter

Plans, Books, Websites, Parts, Suppliers
Maybe we can find an answer for you.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

EC 12 Transporter

Postby James M Earle » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:35 pm

I am having difficulty getting my boat from the car to the water.
I need a transporter or wheeled vehicle. Is there anything out there?
Thanks, Jim Earle
James M Earle

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:50 am

Jim,

There are a lot of guys out there with little homemade carts. Some have ropes to pull them along, but most have a steering bar to guide them. As far as I know they are all made by the owner and I have yet to see two that are the same.

Basically they are a simple wagon like frame with a way to hold the boat cradle in place. Two wheels at one end and a stand at the other.

I have also seen guys use folding luggage dollies that you can purchase most anywhere they sell luggage or office supplies. When using it, most place their tool box on the bottom and their boat sideway atop the tool box.

I hope this helps.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Winston » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:25 pm

I used to use a folding aluminum "big wheel" garden cart, but the effort required to get it and the boat out of the SUV and back in was "killing" me. It worked great once everything was on the ground.

I am now recovering from surgery on my back (unrelated to the above, I hope), and am working on a new solution. I just got back from the hardware store with some bits and pieces.

I am starting with a 4 wheel "walker" called a "Hugo" that I had to use for about 8 weeks. It was purchased at Costco for about $90.00.
To this I am adding a second "cross brace" (this walker has a seat, and the seatback is the "first cross brace"). The aluminum bar stock and square tube and assorted screws, washers and nuts cost less than $20.00.

When you slide the Hugo partially out of the vehicle, it "tips" onto its wheels. From there it is unfolded and rolled up to the back of my SUV, the boat on the cradle (with bow pointing away from you) will slide onto the two braces (they are about the same elevation as the SUV floor).

The cradle needs to be secured to the Hugo (bungee? clamps?) I'm using a piece of not-too-aggressive velcro at the "forward" cross brace.

The walker has two hand grips and two hand brakes that have a "parking brake" feature. Rigging the boat on the transporter is comfortable. It is stable and easy to control on pavement or lawn. It comes with storage compartments (radio fits in one under the lifting seat bottom).

The only "lifting" will be at the pond. I think this is going to be a good, economical solution. Pictures have been sent to Paul Proefrock for possible posting to the website.

Winston Mathews
Winston

Postby deafsail » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 pm

target. com folding dolly cheap cost 20.00 less
deafsail

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Hi Jim,

All great ideas posted. Most get the boat from the car to someplace "near" the water. The magic is getting it the rest of the way with ease. I saw a number of different gadgets at the recent Nationals in Mt. Laurel. All required physically lifting the boat off a cradel of some kind and carrying it to the water. The simplest one was used by Jim Lindville which was a nylon strap with a loop at each end. The loops were slipped over the bow and stern and the strap and boat was simply lifted onto his shoulder.

I have been working with a guy up here in CT who is building a combo cradel and launching device in one. He has built a prototype which I have but it lacks a few comon EC 12 requirments and is a bit heavy. What is good about it is that it comes with 2 rubber wheels and a retractable handle for pulling(like a suitcase). There is a second handle for lifting the boat and cradel together.

He builds other RC carriers which are quite nice and he is looking at building the above on a semi production basis. If anyone has any ideas they would like to see in something like this, let me know. It would be great to come up with a good, all around carrier.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck Luscomb
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:26 pm

Guys,

My company is buying a bunch of these ZUCA backpacks on wheels for holiday gifts for clients. We had one in the office today and it is pretty cool. It is an aluminum frame box with a seat and a retractable handle like most luggage today. Inside the frame is a soft side zipper bag with lots of pockets, etc.

Anyway, I thought it would be a great thing for hauling your EC-12 to the lake from the car. The boat will stack up very nicely on the seat part and the bag would work well as a tool box for all most all your gear.

Then you can sit on it at the lake while you sail. No need to bring chair, toolbox, and cart. This thing replaces them all in one compact little frame.

Here is the Web site: http://www.zuca.com

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby EC1210 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:41 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Capt. Flak</i>

Guys,

My company is buying a bunch of these ZUCA backpacks on wheels for holiday gifts for clients. We had one in the office today and it is pretty cool. It is an aluminum frame box with a seat and a retractable handle like most luggage today. Inside the frame is a soft side zipper bag with lots of pockets, etc.

Anyway, I thought it would be a great thing for hauling your EC-12 to the lake from the car. The boat will stack up very nicely on the seat part and the bag would work well as a tool box for all most all your gear.

Then you can sit on it at the lake while you sail. No need to bring chair, toolbox, and cart. This thing replaces them all in one compact little frame.

Here is the Web site: http://www.zuca.com

Joe Walter #24
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
EC1210

Return to Documentation & Suppliers