Plan questions

Plans, Books, Websites, Parts, Suppliers
Maybe we can find an answer for you.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Plan questions

Postby lmazoway » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:49 am

I have downloaded and had kinkos print out the full size plan. On the very bottom of the plan there are measurements that I don't understand. For instance; at measurement 15 there are dimensions of 6 1/4 - 6 11/16 below it, what do these measurements represents. Also, there is a 1/4 measurement listed, again what is that for.

I assume the answer to these quetions will pertain to the measurements shown at the rib pattern placement.

Thanks,

Larry
York, ME
lmazoway

Postby Rick West » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:59 am

Larry,
Station 15 does not have a rib placement, as you can see. This row of numbers identifies the beam measurements in the Class rules and specifications. These are at each 5" station increments and the larger measurement is the beam tolerance and the smaller is the camber height of the deck. It is reference.

On the other side of the line drawing of the hull are the rib placements, their beam measurement and camber. These will match the templates in the upper right, meaning the ribs are cut to the center of the tolerance. Station 8 and its relation to station 4 is optional and explained on the building site.

...hope this gets your eyes back to straight. Enjoy.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby lmazoway » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:43 pm

Thanks Rick,

Not sure what camber is but I'll hopeflly figure that out as I go.

As I look at the full size plan rib for Station 55 the pattern is 5- 3/32 wide. On the overhead view on the bottom of the plan it shows it as 5 - 1/4 (or 5 - 8/32). Which is correct?

Also, do you folks coat your ribs with polyureathane or epoxy for moisture protection?

Thanks again. I try searching these qu's out before posting but no luck.

Larry
York, ME
lmazoway

Postby bodacious » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Larry...ABSOLUTLEY coat your beams with something to "moisture proof" them. The camber is the curvature of the deck from gunnel to gunnel! Good luck with your build ... and if you follow the building guidlines that Rick has put together..... you will be amazed at how well your boat will sail!! His bunch have really made it easy!
bodacious

Postby s vernon » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:24 pm

Larry,

"Station 55" is just forward of the transom. The hull maker has determined how wide the hull will be at that station. The owner/builder has no control over the hull width at that station. It is pretty much rock solid in width and not to be worried about. It is what it is. And it acceptable the way it is. My opinion/experience anyway.

Scott

Scott
s vernon

Postby lmazoway » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks Scott,

It measures 5 - 7/16" exactly. My fear is that even with the 1/4" tolerance it will measure outside the acceptable range. If I need to correct this I will have to split the transom and squeeze it together. I don't mind doing this. I'd hate to go to a regatta and not measure up. It's an old Hickman hull that I picked up from a friend.
lmazoway

Postby Rick West » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:42 pm

Larry,
The measurements at the bottom of the drawing are the centerline of the class specification, as stated in the above post. Cut the ribs to the template. That is why they are full size on the drawing.

Follow the instruction in the Electronic Checklist and you will be measuring the beam widths to the rules at the proper station before you are finished. <u></u>The ribs are not at the measurement stations<u></u> but it used where they are suppose to go it will measure in. It is all part of the process.

The drawing is correct and has been used for a long time. Trust it. If you are ever off in measurements it will be because the stated width of the rib was not used or it was placed in the wrong place. You may need to sand some around the edges at the gunwale under the flange but that is all. Remember, no one can see what it looks like under there when you are done.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Carl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:33 pm

Larry,

Your last comment was that you are working on an old Hickman hull!!!!

<b><u>How old </u> </b> ? - the prints and dimensions for the older boats are different than the current hulls.

Carl
Carl

Postby lmazoway » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:41 pm

The Hickman sticker inside the hull is # 362.

Another Sticker from the AMYA calls for sail # 1929.

I think the boat is about 6 years old. Could be wrong.

Let me know if you can guesstimate the age. I made the Rinehart jig and the boat measured pretty close. Pleasant surprise.

Larry
lmazoway

Postby bodacious » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:24 am

Larry, I think you'll be fine with the plans....I'm sure that your hull is a 95 Standard! My 4+ year old Hickman is #525...so my guess is 6-7 years old for your boat. DB
bodacious

Postby ed atkinson » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:34 pm

larry - my hickman hull is #379 and i think it was built in 94
when i went to see skip in webster florida his records had been burned in a fire and he made a guess on the year

ed
ed atkinson

Postby s vernon » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:31 pm

We could figure out fairly accurately which hull number is the first or second or third (?) Hickman 95 Std - a very early one anyway. Rick West could probably tell us the hull number of Rob LeR's/Andrew P's red Atlanta Hickman.

The serial number on that boat has something funny about it though. I believe when Skip Hickman was asked about it he claimed that it was shipped to the current national champ who knows nothing about that.

Scott
s vernon

Postby John Egizi » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:47 pm

If this will help you, I had hull #315 and sail #1782 and it was a pre 95 standard hull with the narrow keel. John
John Egizi

Return to Documentation & Suppliers