Older Hull: Background?

Plans, Books, Websites, Parts, Suppliers
Maybe we can find an answer for you.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Older Hull: Background?

Postby David Arnold » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:49 pm

I recently aquired a hull that turned out to be an EC12, hull number 210 by Reynolds Mfg. I see on the site that this would be one of the older and more "original?" members of the class. I wonder if anyone could fill in a few more details about the history, etc of this hull. The mfg data sticker is still intact. I found a set of adhesive numbers (210)and two stained but intact sails (white main, yellow jib) in the hull. The hull was full of debris. It is in excellent shape cosmetically (bright yellow) and seems to have never had any fittings installed. However, the rudder is hung and the rudder post and the bell-crank is badly deteriorated and rusted inside the hull. The hull is balasted. Any info or comments would be appreciated. DocA in Kentucky.
David Arnold

Postby john bottensek » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:00 am

Hi Doca,

Although I cannot give you any specific information about your hull, I did know Mr. Renolds. He was a manufacture living in Orlando Florida and most likely the hull was from a treasure tooling mold. His wife Mary sewed the sails for him, and back then they used mostly Dacron material. John Renolds was involved in producing several class boats such as 36-600, 58-800 Marblehead, 6 meter are some that I remember. He has passed about 20 years ago. Maybe this will get you started on your quest for information. John B.
john bottensek

Postby Rick West » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:22 am

Welcome aboard David,
There are only 32 Reynold hulls in the class Registry. None have the serial number of 210 and none have ever had a sail number of 210. It is likey this hull was never registered and a shame too.

The sail number 210 was registered in the Northwest in 1989 to an Ozmun hull and transfered to a non-member in 1996 and not heard of since.

There was a 209 hull number registered to Philip Lawrence in Lexington but no other records on him exist nor has the boat surfaced since his registration in 1991. He also owned #204 and these were the only two ever registered in KY.

It is not uncommon to find patches of boats with and without registration history in geological pockets that were sailed locally only. You may have found an archeological dig, so to speak.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby PaulP » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:05 pm

I am familiar with Phil Lawrence and his boats.

He was an accountant and treasurer of the Lexington Model Airplane Club during my term as president in 1979-80 (approx). He had a couple boats in his hobby room. Thinking back, they were EC12 size but I don't know if they exactly 12's. They were yellow, I recall that much. Never saw him sail them nor did I have any conversations about them. At the time, I was more interested in soaring and pattern flying.

I do not know if Phil is still around or not. At the time, he was in his late 50's or early 60's as I recall. He would be up in years.

You don't say where you are located. If in the Lexington area, see if you can get in touch with Lew McFarland. He should be able to tell you more about Phil and the boats.

Paul Proefrock
Web Administrator
PaulP

Postby bigdog » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:54 pm

DocA

I also have a Reynolds Mfg. hull. The builders sticker only gives the sail number which is 270. I bought this boat new in 1976. Maybe this can help date your boat. This boat has a much smaller rudder than we use now, as well as that same rusty bellcrank and yellow Dacron sails. I also still have the brochures advertising all the Reynolds Mfg. Co. boats and products.

Scott
bigdog

Return to Documentation & Suppliers