Builders

Plans, Books, Websites, Parts, Suppliers
Maybe we can find an answer for you.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Builders

Postby Hitch » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:23 pm

I am interese in obtaining a kit to build a 12. What builders are offering competitive hulls/kits? Are the new molds different and better than the older hulls that are being offered for sale? I am a good sailor and don't want to waste my time constructing a non competitive boat. Let me know what is out there that is good!

Hitch
Hitch

Postby Gene Rosson » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:02 pm

Hitch;
You can have reasonable confidence that an EC12 hull from any of the approved suppliers will be competitive. If you buy an older boat that is in "as molded" condition, that'l be competitive too. Older boats had slightly narrower keels. They are generally thought to be less appropriate for heavy weather. On the other hand an older boat could have certainly won the National Championship Regatta last weekend. The air was flukey, a little on the light side. The sailor who won could have done so with nearly any of the forty some boats that were there. Bottom line:There are no better or worse EC12s. Some are prettier than others, some are rigged more expensively,and some are 30 years old. The boats are all competitive in the hands of the good sailor that you say you are. If you are looking for an advantage by selecting superior equipment, this is going to be a disappointing class. If you want to match your skills, head to head, with other sailors then the EC12 is a very smart choice.
Gene Rosson

Postby s vernon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:41 am

Hitch,

No kits. Gene’s first sentence is good info.

I would not recommend the older boats except Ozmun if you race where the wind blows between about 4 and 16 mph.

95 std and Ozmun boats that are well built per the latest info – light deck – light low electronics – proper ballast – excellent sails - give you a better chance for high race finishes. Skipper is the biggest factor, but why handicap yourself?

My dissenting opinion.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:58 pm

Hitch,
All hulls being built today are from class certified manufacturers. Certification requires the class hull standard. The class is now using class fabricated molds, as a means of controlling the hull standard program without change to what the class hull standard has been since 1999. I mention this incase you hear about this and think it is better. It is just now under way and is the same hull standard and will not be used by all manufacturers till their molds age.

Two manufacturers will be offering kits for the EC12, meaning that all the essential parts are provided with options for other things that decisions are needed. I am not certain how far along Ludwig and Dudinsky (RMD) are currently with the offering. However, it should be understood the EC12 is a builder's boat and that is why the Electronic Checklist on www.ec12.info was created. This process will take you from the assembly of parts to the water with a competitive boat pending the building. If this is not to your liking, some manufacturers accept commission orders for complete boats.

An eleven times Class Champion said in interview, "20% is the boat and 80% is the skipper and luck."

If you have further questions you can email me at the address when you click on my member name. I would be happy to clear some matters up if needed.

On the road in Atlanta...

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Documentation & Suppliers