New here and questions

Plans, Books, Websites, Parts, Suppliers
Maybe we can find an answer for you.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

New here and questions

Postby DeniseJP » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:07 pm

Hello to all.

We adopted an abandoned model yacht found floating on a lake some years ago (she was in bad shape) and my web-search brought me to your site and I was fascinated by this particular class of model sailboats.

Where can a newbie learn more about EC12s, are there books out there on the class, what do the costs run for start up, etc...

I do know that our local newspaper ran an article on model yachting and said some of the larger classes were not for beginners but I figured the only way to know is to ask.

Many thanks for your advice and help!

DeniseJP
DeniseJP

Postby Rick West » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:08 pm

Welcome. You have obviously found the class website. Here you will find all the links to other resources, a building site with the step by step Electronic Checklist that will take a beginner from planning to the water, a second building site with detail photos of boats around the class, the EC12Net for class communications and many other places.

Difficulty comes in different packages. While the EC12 is one of the larger models it is not very technical and many parts made for it so there is little crafting. This forum is a major resourse that compliments the building sites. The total time to build is greater but the actual work is about 60 hours.

A used boat can run $600 to $1000. Building depends on how much crafting you would like to do as part of the hobby. There is no kit and total cost can run $1200 to $1500. Some will tell you less but hardly for a beginner. If you are in an area of other EC12's there would be a chance of getting over stocked parts or used stuff. It would help here in the profile to know where you are so you could be pointed toward a group. There is much sharing in this class.

Having started with this, now I know you have 15 more to ask. [:D]

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Frank Angel » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:42 pm

You asked about books. The EC 12 is one of the best documented classes in the AMYA. Here's a link to one of the other EC 12 Web sites. http://www.proefrock.net/EC12Web/Docs.htm .

You are cordially invited to join the 432 EC-12 Meter Captains now being served by EC 12 Net.
EC 12 Net is an email notification net to provide more timely information than that provided by "Model Yachting". The net is to cover news and reminders about recent class items, special events and major regatta events. These are advisory and informational in content. It is not to be used as a forum or regarding political actions.

Frank Angel and Rick West hold copies of the email list for cross-referencing and verification of the true list. In order to protect your e-mail address from spammers, all "EC 12 Net Notices" will come addressed to "Undisclosed Recipient ".

Frank oversees EC12 Net and publishes all messages. To subscribe click on this link to the sign up page on the EC-12 Web Page. http://www.ec12.com/admin/list_input.htm Just fill out the information required and “Submit.â€
Frank Angel

Return to Documentation & Suppliers