What hull manufacturere is this?

Plans, Books, Websites, Parts, Suppliers
Maybe we can find an answer for you.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

What hull manufacturere is this?

Postby fvracer1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 am

A friend was recently given an EC12 and was told it was a Dumas and the boat is registered as a Dumas in the registry. However , the hull is a red gelcoat with a white gelcoat bottom (nice quality work). The deck ovelaps the hull(like a Soling) and the deck has a round inspection port type opening, where the round lid goes on and twist locks in. The deck is raised to accept this round opening all around the perimeter. This is the 2nd EC12 I have seen with this type deck. Literature I have seen from Dumas said all hulls and decks were white. Was wondering if anybody knows what it really is....

Soling King
"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Re: What hull manufacturere is this?

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:12 am

I think I know what this is. It is an Ocean Reef 12. To my knowledge only 1 was ever registered. This was back in the day when the people at Card Sound were wanting their boats to be legal EC12s. They were given a time period to register them and only one did.

Rick West or maybe Rod Carr can shed some light on this. I got one of these from a man who worked with my wife. It was in very bad shape at the time. He just gave it to my wife to give to me. It had dacron sails and what look like a shower curtain rod for a mast.
I did some research on it at the time and found out it was not legal, so I gave it to an old model builder who turned it into a schooner.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:43 am

I think Ted is probably right. This manufactured hull is rarely seen but in Card Sound. I have never seen one but know this: the Dumas and the Treasure Tooling hulls and decks are identical to the eye and have that raised splash rail and oval hatch.

If you are just curious, Frank, that is fine - otherwise, forget it.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby bigfoot55 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 am

Might this have been a 'Cork'? The round big boat inspection port molded in? I first saw at Hilton Head early 80's Carter Cain would know.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby Ted Flack » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:16 am

I'm the guy who has the hull that Frank is talking about.

The deck is raised and the round port is pop riveted into place. The deck port is like those used on full size boats, I had them on several catamarans 16 many years ago.

There is also a ridge along the hull center line where the two hull half's appear to be joined. The lead looks like it was poured. It has a beautiful finish probably gel coat and very shiny and smooth

From some of the information I got with the boat it is probably a 1980 or 1981 boat.

Not sure what I am going to do with it but I am curious as to who made it.

Ted
Ted Flack

Postby Columbia » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:44 am

Can you post some pics? Also is that Card Sound between Miami and Key Largo?
Joe
Columbia

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Yes, that is the Card Sound we are talking about. Pictures would help.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Columbia » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks Joe. I thought so but was making sure cause I can use a sailing buddy down in Miami or Ft.Lauderdale. With Key Largo maybe we can alternate sites. And yes to those pics, let's see this creature.
Joe
Columbia

Postby greerdr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:19 pm

The group down in Card Sound,with Harry Strunk and Bill Lowe leading the charge,have really stepped up and are mostly sailing class legal hulls.Some old animosity should disappear and i hope they will soon join the fleet racing around the state of Fl.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby fvracer1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Carter Cain has identified the boat as a Cork Sail Hull, manufactured by Bill Cork on Hilton Head island............late 70's early 80's....

Frank
"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 am

Ted,

I have another one of these 12m's. It has the exact deck you describe and it is registered as a Dumas. It came from the Keys and when I got it, it just did not look like a Dumas...

I have a Bill Lowe boat that I acquired at the same time so it makes sense that this one would hail from the same group down in the Keys. The hull shape/rudder fairing appear to be identical between the two boats so it seemed to me that they possibly came out of the same mold.

The Lowe boat has been completely redone and is actually quite fast. I have begun refitting the other "Dumas" boat with plans to make it as quick as the first.

Winter is too long...
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Documentation & Suppliers