Oversold Natls Selec Process - region 3 regionals

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Oversold Natls Selec Process - region 3 regionals

Postby s vernon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Let me see if I have this straight.

The NCR Selecton Process has been changed, and doing well in the regional championship is now very important if you are a middle of the pack guy who hopes to qualify for an over-subscribed nationals. More important than in previous years.

Region 3 is divided basically into 2 boat racing regions. North: NC, SC and GA. And South: FL.

Florida has a regional every year. But from what I remember from the past, 2006 regional was Naples FL before it was decided to run 2 regionals. 2007 the actual regional was ATL. The FL "regional" I believe was JAX. 2008 we were back to only one regional at the Villages.

It is not a big deal next year because the actual regional will be outside of FL, and there will be a "regional" in FL, but I am wondering if there are future plans to have a "regional" outside of FL in 2009, 2011, etc. It seems to me that it is kind of important since the regional is the one and only qualifiying regatta "for the masses" if the Nationals is over-sold.

I probably have my basic premise wrong. There probably never was a plan to run 2 regionals every year. But I still ask the question, since the NCR Selection Process has been changed and places great emphasis on doing well in a regional.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:25 pm

Scott,
Fear not. The Class established some time ago that it will hold regional status regattas annually in both Florida and for the rest of Region 3. These were designated 3a for Dixie and 3b for Florida.

This is not recognized by the AMYA in their regional distribution. Hence, we can only obtain Red Chevrons for the recognized regional and we have rotated it each year for that reason.

The end of this week the 2009 schedule will be posted. On that website page will be the new Qualifying List and will show the qualifying distribution for the regionals. There will be some explanations attached.

It is important for serious competitors that want to attend the NCR to attend a regional and do the best they can. However, all that attend will be listed on the List. Vacancies the merged listing will be filled from the regional attendees.

St. Augustine NCR will provide 52 slots and we will post around 65 if needed on standby for cancellations.

When you see that chart it will be easier to see the process.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Ask the Secretary