Worlds Venue

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Worlds Venue

Postby kermwood » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:19 pm

(1) Venues for this event will be those offered by the US but driven mainly by a concensus of the international community. This consideration is with understanding there will be holidays involved and rightly so.

(2)International competitors will be coming here on holiday and sailing will be the prime reason but not the prime attraction for the number of days expended.
Making the event convenient to the US EC12 population is not likely to be a prime consideration. As the current head of the class here I will be responsible to the event wherever it will be held, but the decisions to location and other matters will come from a panel of the USA, NZL, AUS and GBR. I intend to invite CAN, FRA and SWE in also.

Both of the above statements are taken from posts made by the class CS one on this site and the NZ owners site.
I would like to ask as a interested party in europe how was the decision reached to use the St James Island Venue.
The reason l ask is that.
I don,t doubt the the venuse is as discribed one of the best if not the best sailing venue around and is great for a weekend event for skippers,but as those who went to NZ know well this event goes beyond just a few days sailing.
The venue is discribed as a summer holiday area,thats fine but this is happening in November !
I would guess that several travelers will be on site for maybe Six or seven days, and the other considerations to those traverling with partners/wives/family and wanting more than the park provides will be found wanting.and as the CS has said..
Sailing will be the prime reason but not the prime attraction for the number of days expended.
I feel this has been forgotten in all the excitement of this event.

Woody
kermwood

Postby greerdr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:27 pm

What do you propose?We sailed together at Disney and had a super time. I doubt a better venue could be found anywhere in the U.S., but I suspect that has already been hashed out by you "powers that be".

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Doug Wotring » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:37 pm

I am sure all sorts of variables come into play,

Size of the pond for the anticipated fleet

Proximity to logistical support and RD staff etc

Availability of the pond

Cost

Expected sailing weather

I don't think Charleston was chosen with any thought to the location of the fleet however I am sure an East Coast location was and always will be a consideration.

Obviously, an Event in PA or NJ etc. could be subject to very cold temps.

Really, Charleston is not that bad a drive to any number of other attractions should a guest want to do something before or after the event
Doug Wotring

Postby Frank Angel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Hello Woody,
There are many things to do in Charleston other than sail. Charleston is one of the premier cities of the “Old Southâ€
Frank Angel

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:55 pm

Charleston is one of America's best destinations. The beauty of the city is unmatched anywhere on the East Coast. The dining is fantastic. And the people are the nicest around.

Whether it is your starting point for your extended vacation to the States or the finale, Charleston will surely be the highlight of your trip.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Doug Wotring » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:10 pm

Savannah another jewel of the DIxie States is just a couple hour Drive South and also worth a visit.......lots of good eats there too
Doug Wotring

Postby Rick West » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:01 am

To be specific you are correct Woody. Those were the words and those were the intentions. However, it could not be forced.

Repeated requests for discussion over the last year brought no response but from the Kiwis. They inquired about the places, did some planning but never presented a choice. I do not think they are disappointed but I had to move with the consideration of the future plans in the international community and to a lesser degree here. I have stated the points.

As the host country, I called for comment here and there was some interest but none that led to anything. It was understood that an announcement was needed by the end of the first quarter.

Charleston is the finest facility this country can provide for challenging racing of the EC12. It is an all around facility. It is close enough to international airports service to the world and within reasonable driving distance. Many other things have been pointed out.

I have not heard one word of disagreement or suggestion till after the fact. It would be my take on history and understanding that if the NOR was called off nothing better would come of it.

However, if you can bring the international community together in discussions, please do. I have not been able to. I said two years ago the US would hold it anywhere but Seattle. A year ago I called for discussions. In both cases with comment in between nothing happened. No deposits have been made or money spent.

I ended up on point and made the decision. It is not in stone. We need about 16 months with Disney and 13 months for Charleston. I have no idea about anything else till something is suggested and we get someone on the ground to check it out. Till I hear collectively from the internationals there is a plan in place.

I will provide a forum place for the discussions tonight. I ask the US members to stay out of it. I will monitor the discussions and be happy to assist with information where needed. Please ask and I will show up. Go for it.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Rick,

Charlston shure would have been my pick but if we are looking for options.

It may have not been an option 6 months or more ago but Mystic Seaport has been very cooperative with us and the venue is truly extraordinary with quite a number of activities in the Seaport itself as well as close by.

Boston and New York are only 2hrs in each direction and because of it's high tourist activity, hotels are plentiful.

They have asked me just two days ago about next year. The site could easily handle 30-40 boats in three fleets.

If the discussion is still open....

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby kermwood » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm

l must start off with an apologizing for the semmingly lack of response to the discussions to where the event was to take place,l did not know that these were taking place and did not realise things had gone as far as they had and so it was with some suprise that l saw the NOR.
I don,t know where the skippers outside of the US would prefer to sail and hopefuly will now give some input.
I must admit that for my part l would prefer to go to Orlando again.
Not sure if it will cost more time and bucks for the the class what with disneys lifeguard policy but even so i would like the class to consider ..
It has a international airport.
There is more to do before/during/after the event.
More places to eat/drink
It is a netural venue for all the skippers.
There is more for skippers partners/wifes/kids to do while we play
And it will bring that bit extra to a otherwise sailing reggata
and highlight the class with the headlines "EC12 Worlds at Disney"
l expect a lot of US skippers would like it to take part on their local patch because of the travel.but l think that most of the skippers who were at Orlando last time would like to do it again.
At the end of the day it is your party.

Woody
kermwood

Postby Rick West » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Woody,
I understand. Please move your post to the forum below I have provided. I will alert the invitees that you have responded. I will do this even when I retun home.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby tony » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Rick, i know things are being put in place but
as an ex-kiwi, i never did look forward to the flight from LA to the east coast. USD400 extra and a lose of a day in travel. Now if we wanted to even the playing field with our many southern skippers, in terms of cost to travel, we should have considered the West coast as a venue. Hell! i need a holiday and ol' Cal looks awesome.:-) I know what most of u are thinking. EC stands for East coast. Just some thoughts. its going to be prohibitive for those coming from down south where the spirit is very willing but the dollar is weak.

best,
tony 82
tony

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:55 pm

Tony, you are new to the class, so I will be nice.[:D]

They hosted a Nationals in San Diego a few years back and 7 people showed up.[B)]

We get 7 times that number on the "Right" Coast.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby tony » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:18 pm

only 7 turned up. Must of been only kiwis and Aussies. I think charleston is an <b>amazing</b> place. that would be my first choice. Natural beauty steeped in History. Great Architecture and Culture.
Ah Disney is a zoo! A tourist trap for sure.
One actually needs a vacation to get over that experience i think.
i'm going to back outta this conversation and leave it to the pros.
should be a great time anyway. Rick, let me be the official photographer
please. I've got a great underwater housing for my 5d. I could float around the pond. [:)]
tony

Postby yachtie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:57 pm

Tony - welcome to the class from a not ex kiwi. [:D]

One can never be an ex-kiwi - ask Uncle Jim Linville our "honorary kiwi who jus happens to live over there and was born there"[;)]

I have loked very carefully at the costs of travel from Wellington to Charleston and other than a couple of extra plane rides the cost is around 100NZD return more going via New York to Charleston than only going to LA.

As to why Charleston?

As one who has never been to the US (other than airport transit) I my personal opinion was that the best venue should be the main consideration and this is I believe why this venue was nominated.

None of the guys I know are keen to come from down here have been to this part of the globe and personally whether it is Charleston, Orlando, San Diego, Sacramento, or Boise, Idaho (go Radar O'Reilly[^]) we will still be there to enjoy firstly our boating and then do a bit of touristy things either side of THE EVENT [:p]

When NZL06 happened the venue was offered to the world by those with similar thoughts who organised it. This venue was not maybe one I would of nominated but we still went, we had a fantastic time, we went home.

My only niggle is now the time of year. Previous informal emails between Rick and I suggested that it may of been around 4-6 weeks earlier (and warmer).

I know that the Kiwi contingent had previously discussed having and informal skid or 2 elsewhere to maximise the sailing and if we do end up in Charleston there would be a dive down towards Florida to do just this. Again the lateness in the year does niggle a bit with Xmas literally around the corner.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby tallastro » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:54 am

This post isn't about this subject. It's a tangent.

Radar isn't from Idaho, he was from Ottumwa, Iowa.

Hoping to attend the World's, wherever they end up.

John
tallastro

Next

Return to Ask the Secretary