The EC12 and AMYA Membership

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Postby kermwood » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:11 am

I think that forcing someone to join the AMYA just because they brought a EC12 hull is wrong.
Sorry Doug but l don,t think its about how much it cost but the princable of it.
And what do you do after the first year send the "boys round to have a word with them".
Don,t get me wrong l think everybody who takes part in any sport should support the organizaions who promote it.
And in this case l think this should happen at club level( which is mostly the case in the UK with our MYA).
We all know that as soon as someone has got a boat on the water thay want to see how good it is and look to race.
And so join their local club and l think its at this point that the club membership should also includes AMYA membership it cames as part of the package of being a club member and brings with it all the benifits of belonging to the AMYA.
Most people rejoin a club no matter how little or much they sail in a year and in doing so will renew thier AMYA membership.
And also you have to look beyond the EC12 class at the club members who sail other classes and this would bring them into the AMYA fold as well.
Just my opinon.
Woody
kermwood

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:07 am

Woody,

I agree that making it a requirement when a hull is purchased seems to be a lost benefit to the buyer. When being a member does become a good idea is when you are racing at your local pond. If your local club is an AMYA club, they should have pond insurance. We do. From what I understand, the policy only covers members. If someone were sailing and got hurt badly and was not a member, the policy would not cover them and the pond owner would be open to a liability case. Seems like a pretty quick way to loose your sailing venue. So Woody, making it a requirement at club level seems like the right way to go.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rich Matt » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59 am

Perhaps I should not but in. After all, I'm not included on the list of EC12 owners in Region 4. Not being on the list I probably deserve, but I'll get over it.

This sequence of forum messages does include mention of a couple-few matters that I think I might know a little bit about.

First of which is this motion to require AMYA membership and registration in the class in order to purchase an EC12. Forgedaboatit. A lawyer could probably find things wrong with this in no time at all. The officers and directors of AMYA would be fearful of the legal consequences involved and do their best to keep clear of it. If the EC12 Class members do pass the motion, and if The Team ("Team EC12") also wins the AMYA election, this could turn out to be interesting. It could even develop into a test of the AMYA's Directors and Officers (D&O) Insurance. D&O insurance, by the way, is there to provide protection from civil action lawsuits generated by dumb decisions (exact wording of our insurance agent).

This sequence of messages also has a couple references to AMYA Personal Injury and Pond Owner Insurance programs. First off, keep in mind that I am not in the insurance business. I am merely the Secretary of the AMYA Insurance Committee. Since it is I who knows the agent that arranges our insurance, I got volunteered to be the mail room clerk that represents AMYA to the insurance agency.

It was mentioned that all members of a club be AMYA members also in order to be insured. Not so. We do not insure clubs or individual members of a club. AMYA's personal injury policies provide protection from lawsuits for only the association, its officers and our agents serving as race officials at AMYA scheduled regattas. Pond Owner insurance is often referred to as "club insurance" when actually it is solely insurance for the Pond Owner. The insurance agency relies on our insurance committee to verify that any Pond Owner insurance application forms are approved as AMYA sanctioned clubs. When it comes to Pond Owner insurance we can only hope and encourage that all members of the club also be AMYA members. We would not and could not make total club AMYA membership as a requirement and risk a claim being denied because of one or two guys in the club not being AMYA members.

For a more detailed description of AMYA insurance please refer to p.63 of the most recent AMYA Model Yachting magazine.

Rich Matt
AMYA 004
EC12 #317 & 320
Rich Matt

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 pm

good answer on the insurance.

as for the EC-12 mandated AMYA membership with a new boat purchase.........being that the class owns the mold they can require whatever they see fit as far as membership, licenses etc.as I understand it.

this would be hard to get over on the rest of the classes as I assume, that most of the molds for other classes are privately owned....
Doug Wotring

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Great information Rich,

How might someone get the full written policy for Pond Insurance. What it covers and what it does not?

Thanks,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby tag1945 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Chuck

This should help you:

http://www.modelyacht.org/pdf/2008AMYAInsuranceForm.pdf

Tom

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chuck Luscomb</i>

Great information Rich,

How might someone get the full written policy for Pond Insurance. What it covers and what it does not?

Thanks,

Chuck
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
tag1945

Postby Frank Angel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi Guys,
Here’s a paragraph that will be in the next <i>EC12 Net News.</i>
Frank Angel

Rick Writes:
Hull/Membership Requirement
I have <u>suspended </u> a policy to require membership to buy a certified EC12 Hull till the fall election and the result of the motion to do so in the Class Rules. Politics have gotten involved outside this administration and that is not good for the Class.
Frank Angel

Previous

Return to Ask the Secretary