Curved Booms

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Curved Booms

Postby kermwood » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Can anybody tell me why the EC12 class does not allow curved booms?
Woody
kermwood

Postby Rick West » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:15 am

I assumed you were asking about the EC12. There is a US12 class in AMYA. Anyway...

LOL, funny that you asked. After trying to remember anything about this through a long dog walk I dived into the paper files for an hour and a half. We have always been told that we are to use straight booms and the rules say curved are prohibited. After finding nothing on this in the files I called around and it seems it is esthetics. The desire has been to keep the boat looking like their heritage.

Apparently, there has been no compelling reason to change the rule. Do you have one on this?

I am sending you soap for your Lady.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kermwood » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:24 pm

So are you saying there is no rule to stop curved booms being used ?
Or there is a unwritten rule stopping curved booms being used,and that is based on looks alone and not for any practical or technical reason ?
Woody
kermwood

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:58 pm

Wooody,

The rule exxcludes/prohibits curved booms........with aesthetics beeing the rason for the rule.

I recall reading somewhere, not sure if it was EC-12 related but was model boat related that stated that there was no siignificant advantage with curved booms, I'll see if I can locate where I saw that
Doug Wotring

Postby kermwood » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:30 am

Doug thanks for your input.
But l worded the question so not to get in a discussion of the why to/not to have curved booms,as with most things on the 12 l think that should be down to personal choice.
So l just wanted to know
(1) If they are allowed
(2) if there was a GOOD reason not too allow them ,apart from the fact that some think it spoils the looks.
Woody
kermwood

Postby Doug Wotring » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:42 am

My Layman and uneducated as well as unofficail answer to your two questions

1.Not allowed
2.No <b>"Good"</b> Reason...LOL

No Experience with the Sails Etc booms although I have some long ones I inteded on using on another class boat which did not work out.
Doug Wotring

Postby jack wubbe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:01 pm

Woody;
I am using sail etc. booms on my new EC-12 and had the same problem. What I did to solve it was add a small loop 3/8" to the metal hook Bantock provides. The jib clears the boom but the main sail brush's the top I also used sails etc. old sheet attachment method which is a small hook that fit's into holes in the side of the boom.
Jack
jack wubbe

Postby Rick West » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:27 pm

Woody,
Class Rule 9.2 prohibits use of curved booms.

Is there a good reason other than aesthetics? None that I can find in paper files.

Should we ignore the Rule? No.

The Rule could be changed through process if a compelling reason for the change is argued.

There is no history in paper files regarding interpretation or other discussion that I have seen.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kermwood » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:10 pm

So NZ allows curved booms
The USA does not and will not.
I guess the class will continue to stay worlds apart !
Woody
kermwood

Postby Rick West » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:05 pm

Woody, I do not feel we are worlds apart. I consider it does not make any difference in performance, with or without. I do not feel the US EC12 Class has prevented any area of competitiveness compromised with other international versions.

However, this is not to say that change is not needed. What we need is a good argument to change, not just that another country or class of boat does this. There is an adage that supports this and is wisdom.

I am open to an argument and process. What would you like to do and the point of this airing?

Should this string disappear here you will find it in “Ask the Secretary.â€
Rick West

Postby kermwood » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:54 pm

My feeling is that all the time the "Class"continues to run different
routes there will never be sense of a complete class just seperate units that run alongside each other.
If l buy a hull from the NZOA and reg it and myself with them l would be able to sail that boat with its curved booms as a international entry in the US nats.
But if l buy a hull from the NZOA mould,l would not be able to reg that hull with the US because the hull was made in NZ and not the US even though the mould that the hull came from was made in the US.
If this is not a example of a class at odds with itself l don,t know what is.
But l expect any criticism will as usual be brushed aside by the class authority who are very clever and know how to use their knowledge of the english language to put down any unwanted criticism or remarks.
Woody
kermwood

Postby kermwood » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:59 pm

email from Rick on above posting

Woody
I am disappointed in that your last post on Curved Booms appears to have been pointed directly at me.I do not understand the need or that it should be in public.I will not respond on the forum accordinly like l did not get involved with the Ian Hull Brown affair.
I read that you think l should initiate a change because there is no good reason to have a rule other than looks.
Looks can mean something to many.
It is like the fair camber to the deck,the number of hatches and material restrictions with the same thoughts and at time to the costs.
If you are seeking a worldwide standard with agreements,the US would move with the flow but there has been none.
Actually Australia is likely to move with our standerd or at least that of the Kiwis.
My idea was not to move on this but to get everyone together sailing.The NZEC12OA agreed and moved with it.
I have to make assumptions as your comments have not been clear other than the US is stodgy and old fashion.
So in all these thoughts l could be wrong.However,I have suppressed nothing other than a reefing system.
I am sorry you are unhappy with me and the US class.I thought we were doing just fine.
Rick

I am sorry Rick but I have posted this here because l do not understand the need to leave a open forum and go behind close doors,surely that is the point of this site for open discussion.
The very fact of this happening is a indication of the way the class seems to do some of its talking.
I don,t think l am the only one who feels this way,but they proberly wish to stay in the class.
"stodgy and old fashion" l don,t know but l think that when a class has been going as long a this,it can get "Comfortable in itself"
Woody
kermwood

Postby bigfoot55 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:55 pm

MY personal preferance might be to use depleted uranium instead of lead. Maybe my bro-in-law can bring me back a few old rounds. Seems to be lots more to this exchange than booms. Beat everybody using a curved boom and I feel sure there will be a class groundswell to change the rule, which should be opposed.
bigfoot55

Postby Skip Quinn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:19 am

THEY LOOK GREAT, WORK GREAT, AND HAVE FOR YEARS. WHY CHANGE?????
Skip Quinn

Postby kermwood » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:50 am

Thats the whole point Skip you would,nt have to change if you don,t want too.Curved or straight ? fit what you like.rather then being told they spoil the lines of the boat so we don,t want them.
I am sure we all could find something we don,t like on the 12...
Hull colour.sail designs,boats tied together with wax and string,
the skipper !!
Some like using jumpers on their boats,l don,t and think they spoil the look of the 12 and are a pain so l don,t fit them,but thats my choice.
Woody
kermwood

Next

Return to Ask the Secretary