Question for Rick Concerning Sail Markings

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Question for Rick Concerning Sail Markings

Postby E Artz » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:13 am

Rick,

I don't own a boat yet, but am intent on getting one this winter. I have been to some local club events and have gotten to sail. To help get through the waiting period, I have been trying to design the color scheme to my boat. I want to make it easy to see, especially if I in a pack. I notice in the rules, it does not state anything about sail markings other than the numbers and country insignia. My question has to do with other markings. I saw on your building website (EC12.info) that you mention other markings are allowed as long as they are not advertisments or intimidating, yet I don't see anything in the rules about this. My current drawing has a skull on the jib above the sail number. I have seen another boat on EC12Web with a skull on his sails. What is the class position on this, as I don't want to show up to a regional event to be turned away because of a rules violation on $160 sails.

By the way here is a link to my first conceptual design:
http://home.comcast.net/~eartz/ec12paint3.jpg

Thanks to all who reply,
Earl
E Artz

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:13 am

Earl,

I hope I don't step on the CS's toes here, but I say go for it! Have fun with your design and do what ever you want so long as you are not doing something offensive.

However, you should make sure your sail numbers are clearly visible and not hidden in the design. Also, I would avoid doing too much to the luff area of both sails as it will make it hard to see what they are doing out on the water. Being able to see what your sails are doing in the breeze is all important.

Now, if you are new to the class, I suggest Sharpie Markers. But, if you are a guy who will hit the water running and kick butt on the race course, then may I suggest a good quality latex paint (with extra coats). [:D][}:)][:D]

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby PaulP » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:59 pm

Earl,
Take a look at this page: http://www.proefrock.net/EC12Web/Bldg_Ideas/Paint.htm
Middle Row, Right side is a picture of Rick Gerry's boat & design. You can also see a close up of his jib design on the sails page.

Rick used Sharpie pens to do the illustration

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Rick West » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:22 pm

Earl,
Have fun with it and no one will turn you away in this class. The forum here may seem like we have a bunch of Sea Lawyers, and we do of sorts, but the race directors are not. The lettering of the sails as stated on the website is highly recommended for visibility. It is for your benefit to be indentified. Beyond that we have no restriction legally except for commercial advertising. Above my jib number you will see an airline rank epaulet. And it is helpful in the pack.

The suggestions above are good and I use the markers also...they work good and last a long time.

From the LT in Charleston, SC.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby yachtie » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:14 am

Good luck Earl

Consider this also - different coloured sails - My A rig is Rescue Orange[;)][8D]
Easily seen in the pack and I NEVER sail the "wrong" boat when they are up the track aways.
[:p][:p]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby E Artz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:31 pm

Thanks for all of the replies guys. You are all very helpful, as always. Hope to see y'all on the water next season for sure.

Earl
Sail # TBD
E Artz

Postby EC1210 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Earl, Earl from Fla here.
Not sure if this link will work, give it a try.
http://picasaweb.google.com/greerdr/Yan ... 0847267778
It has helpped me find my boat in a crowd. I went to one of these t-shirt artist on the beach, I've been sailing with the sails for 2 years now and are still holding up. if you have the skill which I didn't with and airbrush go for it.
EC1210

Postby greerdr » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:29 pm

And I LOVE those sails!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby EC1210 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:33 am

Doc, thank to you and the Ms. Doc for all the pic's of the different regattas that show them off
EC1210

Return to Ask the Secretary