National measurent standards

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

National measurent standards

Postby RMDJBD » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:14 pm

I am concerned about the measurement procedures that will be used at nat's. Specifically, I would like to know the following?

How many grams/ozs. will be used at the mast for measuring at the nat's. Will additionail weight on the bow be used for jib boom counterwieghts?

Will keel width be measured and if so what will be the acceptable tolerances?

Are beam width going measured?

Are sails going measured?

Are removal ballast going to be included in the measurement process?

Bob Dudinsky
RMDJBD

Postby Rick West » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:51 pm

Good evening Bob,
One of your associates nearby raised most of these questions before to me personally. The NOR. the SI’s and the schedule of events which, would include check in and measuring for Orlando were not posted on the website in detail because of the rush by members to get on with an entry process. They have never been posted in detail. What will be printed in the entry package is the detail. What was put up was that needed to announce the event. Historically, the class has not done this six months in advance. While the NOR is important to all comers the latter is specific to the fleet and will be before them in the usual timing of this event. That will be about 3 weeks from now.

Measurements at the NCR is a common thing. What is measured, how it will be measured and to what properties will be used is a matter of the Race Committee. This is generally not reported to the fleet but is likely be this year because of two queries from Florida. I will tell you this; in reference to keel width and Rule 2.5 which, was raised there, the matter will be sent to the class advisory committee and other noted individuals within a week based on a survey conducted with conclusions by me. I am near completing this paper. A ruling based on my opinion through this counsel will be issued about the same time as the fleet information or sooner. This will be public on EC12Net to the class.

So, like you and the rest of the participants and the class will know all this in its time. The participants of the NCR will know what they should know in detail about the process. The class should be within the rule unless advised otherwise by issue from the class secretary.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Ask the Secretary