Mast Crane

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Mast Crane

Postby Jim Linville » Thu May 12, 2005 4:55 pm

In reading the class rules, I note that there is no specified restriction of the materials from which the mast crane can be built. Is my interpretation correct? Can I, for instance, make my mast crane from fiberglass or (oh, oh) carbon fiber tube? And while I'm at it, no shape for the mast crane is specified so I assume I can make it any shape I want. Is this assumption correct?

By the way, I'm sure I must be asking the same question that hundreds of other "transferies" from development classes must have asked. Is there a place where I can go to check for answers before I post my questions here? --Jim Linville
Jim Linville

Postby Rick West » Thu May 12, 2005 5:12 pm

Your assumptions are correct, Jim. Past experience has shown that forces on the rig are higher than one would suspect. In my case Newport at Fort Adams was the most severe experienced. Fiberglass and CF materials have been found to be brittle for spreader and jumpers. I have never seen a material other than aluminum or brass for a crane. Standing tension on the backstay can easily require over five pounds and according to the EC12 Manual approach 13 pounds on the water.

The search function of this forum is a good place to check if a subject was mentioned in the past.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Jim Linville » Fri May 13, 2005 7:01 am

Thanks, Rick. I completely missed the search feature. DUH![:I] Since having it pointed out to me it seems that almost every question I can think of has been raised before. Maybe now I won't have to bug you so much. --Jim #958
Jim Linville

Return to Ask the Secretary