Downhaul

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Downhaul

Postby Jim Linville » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:17 pm

Rick: I note that the rules specify that only a downhaul is legal. How is downhaul defined? I prefer to us an "uphaul", that is, the same mechanism used for a downhaul but one that pulls up on the sail from the top of the mast instead of down on the bottom of the sail. I see no advantage in controlling sail shape, but it makes life a bit easier for old farts like me with weak backs who have trouble kneeling down on a dock to pull on a bowsie. I know there are other bowsies that I will have to bend down to pull, but this is one less. Can I use a uphaul in place of a downhaul? --Jim Linville #859
Jim Linville

Postby Rick West » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:01 pm

Jim,
I agree with you and it is not restricted to a downhaul. An uphaul is the same control to tension the luff. No problem. I will make a note of this for future correction.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Jim Linville » Mon May 02, 2005 3:50 pm

Muy gracias. Senor El Capitan!
Jim Linville

Postby MichaelJ2K » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Although this is an old thread, I have a question regarding the downhaul (Cunningham). The rule states that the downhaul is a manual control and generally I set it and forget it but how about an automatic adjustment as referenced here? http://onemetre.net/Build/Downease2/Downease2.htm It allows luff tension to ease on the run while tensioning up when sheeted in. It can be controlled by a bowsie which would satisfy the manual requirement.

I'm curious if it would work well on a 12.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby geeks2you » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 pm

There are already many skippers that have downhauls that would work on the same principle as the "auto-cunningham" that you linked. Their methods to add a significant amount of bag to the sail at the luff when easing downwind when the boom is out. I would think that the "manual control" is specifically limiting the use of an electronic tension control of the luff tension instead of limiting the easing of the luff tension through mechanical methods, i.e. using geometry to your advantage.

Eric Olson
Atlanta Model Yacht Club
AtlMYC.org
geeks2you

Postby greerdr » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:33 am

I agree.
The use of the "self-easing" cunningham is used throughout the fleet.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby s vernon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Here is a link to an image of a self-loosening downhaul on an EC-12. This is the best way to rig it on an EC-12. It loosens just a little as the boom goes out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/scottveee/ ... 5742347426

Scott
s vernon

Return to Ask the Secretary