Scale Marine Products

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Scale Marine Products

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:44 pm

Rick,
Scale Marine Products (Dwight Hartman) is offering a '95 Standard EC12 hull that is approved according to their website. However, this manufacturer is not on the list of approved manufacturers. I wasn't sure if you were aware or not aware of this. Here is the link. http://www.scalemarine.com/pages/3/index.htm
MichaelJ2K

Postby Rick West » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:11 pm

Yes, I am. Dwight is up there in years and advised the class over a year ago that he would not be involved with EC12 hull production. Since then, Steve Lillard at Scale Marine, who has worked with Dwight for many years offered Dwight his facilities in Kansas City. To my understand, Dwight's fabrication processes have been moved there.

I was in contact with Steve during this time and offered him a production slot for the new hull program and/or to continue production of the 95 standard under the direction and approval of Dwight Hartman. A few months ago Steve advised me that he was not interested in continuing with the EC12. Hartman was then removed from the list without issue.

The Hartman molds are still fresh with only about 18 hulls made from them. Whereas, Dwight was certified, he could begin operations again until June 2007 should he wish. The website posting is likely left over and not a problem with the class.

Please note that all EC12 hull production since the first of 2005 requires that a certificate label be obtained from the class and molded into new hull production. Further, manufacturers are to register those new hulls with the class before they are shipped regardless of membership status of use of the hull. No new or unlabeled hull can now be initially registered by an individual without investigation and verification to the class as to the authenticity of the hull. Registration of such will be difficult.

This was the next step in a one-design hull program to certify the EC12 as such to the public and the marketplace and identify knock offs.

This was a bit more than you asked for but will bring you up to date what is going on a the office here.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Ask the Secretary