new rules

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

new rules

Postby Nautic12 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:55 am

frank,just browsing your news letter and in particular the
proposed new rules and changes 12.2 Standard rigging
2 measurments 59'inches(150mm)perhaps if you try 59inches x
25.4 we could arrive at the number 1498mm,same goes for the other inches to mm conversions ,just happened to catch my eye on browsing
tosh[;)][;)][;)]
Nautic12

Postby Frank Angel » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:02 am

Thanks Tosh, for spotting the error. Interesting enough that same error has been in the rules on the class web site since it was launched and you're the first person to notice it. Thanks for the tip on inches to mm conversion.
Frank Angel
Frank Angel

Postby yachtie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:29 pm

Frank - u may also want to check Rule 4.4 measurement conversion as well

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby Frank Angel » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:21 pm

Hi Yachtie, Where have you been all my life? You and Tosh have eyes like a hawk. These rules have been sitting around for 10 years and you’re the first to spot the typos. The number you mentioned 9387 should be 387. We’ll take out the 9 , Thanks for the proofread.
BTW this should only reinforce our claim that we made very few changes. Heck we didn’t even read some of the rules.
Before you guys get carried away with the numbers in the tables you should know that it’s millimeters to inches not inches to millimeters.
I think someone else with more knowledge on how this came to pass will continue this thought.
Frank Angel
Frank Angel

Postby DBrawner » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:32 pm

Thanks for finding the typos. So much for the US adopting the metric system. I should have caught them myself as we put together the proposal.

Frank is correct with the direction of conversion. MM to inches. The difference between our inch measurements and metrics finds it's origin in the failed IEC proposal way back when. I believe one of the requirements for submitting the proposal was that all measurements had to be metric. Our measurements, which used to be in very workable 1/8th inch increments, were converted to metric. After that proposal failed, our 1995 rules were based in part on the metric measurements from the IEC proposal. Someone converted the metric measurements back to inch measurements using 25.4 to 1 ratio. Due to rounding in both directions, inch to mm and then back to inch, our easy to use 1/8th inch measurements went away. While we now give the false sense of precision with our decimal inches,the class approved the measurements 10 years ago and they remain stable today. There were no measurement changes proposed in our motion.

Obviously, the two items that were pointed out were typos. If not, anyone using metric measurement would have a very low jib attachment and a really big hatch. I think we'll let common sense rule the day and correct the typos.

Dave Brawner
DBrawner

Return to Ask the Secretary