Dumas Hull

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Dumas Hull

Postby Jim Linville » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:12 pm

Hey, guys, I have a VERY old Dumas hull (built in the 1970s). Can it be made race competitive? After replacing the Bang-Bang SCU and getting new sails, what's next. I heard somewhere that the Dumas ruddder was too heavy. Is that true?

Jim Linville
Jim Linville

Postby Doug Wotring » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:44 pm

Jim,

My old boat was a Dumas, about 15 years old....it did well at our club series with new sails however it was tender in heavy air and I think it needs reballasted. The SCU was a bit of an issue to.....I put a centering spring in my radio on that stick and that made the SCU act a little bit more like a proportional winch.

Upon building my New boat I was keeping the Dumas as a Club boat.....to let prospective members sail...and sold it to a new member.....he is planning to build just as I did so it will likely switch hands to the 5th registered owner sometime next year.

I always found it to be a good light air boat on the home pond anyway.

Would love to put a top notch skipper aaon the sticks and see how they do with it.
Doug Wotring

Postby bigdog » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:26 am

I also have a couple of pre-1980 boats. It seems like there are more and more of these showing up all the time. Maybe instead of taking a chance on possibly destroying these now "classic" model yachts, for the sake of a modern refit, we shuold consider a seperate class for them. It could be callled the Vintage EC-12 Class.

Some requirements might include:

1. A pre 1980 hull.
2. That "bang bang" winch just mentioned. (does anyone remember Kraft radios?)
3. A.J.Fisher hardware.
4. Wooden (remember that stuff) spars
5. Epoxied lead shot in th keel - this is where the danger of damaging the boat comes in. And Dave Brawners' house.
6. Last but probably most important, the boat must carry sails made by Rod Carr when he lived on the East coast.

Well, what do you guys think?

Dog
bigdog

Postby Larry Ludwig » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:02 am

I think you should make #1 a requirement, and then give a bonus point for each one of the other things you had listed. I have 3 or 4 old heritage hulls here and none have Carr sails, none have all Fisher fittings...but all have SOME Fisher fittings (Bob Irwin should be in the AMYA Hall of Fame IMHO) 2 have original Goldspar from John Reynolds and the other 2 have cracked wooden masts.

Just showing up with the hull should be enough. Just lay a pre-95 hull in todays mold. `nuff said.
Larry Ludwig

Postby Jim Linville » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:15 pm

I like the idea of a Vintage EC-12 class. Mine meets all of the listed requirements except Carr sails. Mine has Black Sails (Buddy, not Chuck). Wonder if I could get a couple extra points for them? --Jim[:D]
Jim Linville

Postby kahle67 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:13 pm

Ask Rick Gerry. He has beaten just about everybody on the east coast at least once with his old Dumas hull. LONG LIVE KING OF THE ELVES!!!
kahle67

Postby PaulP » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Larry Ludwig</i>

Just lay a pre-95 hull in todays mold. `nuff said.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Larry,
Expand on this. What are you saying? I assume you are saying there is a difference. What do you see?

Paul P
PaulP

Postby bigdog » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:33 pm

Judging from everybody's response, maybe we should think seriously about this subject. I believe it's shame to take a chance damaging one these old boats when there are so many places to get one where these actions wouldn't be neeeded. How about getting a committee together to look into this? We can start by trying to find out how many of the "vintage" boats are out there.

Anyhow I say let's dust them off and put them back in the water!

Dog
bigdog

Postby Rick West » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:01 pm

Hey Big Dog Jim,
I like your thinking. The serial numbers on the Dumas Heritage boat were over 2500 last I have seen. In all conversations I have had on the boat, and I have one with an Ozmun in it, is that they are not an EC12 as it is known today. And this is true. That is why they are no longer accepted as new registrations in the class because they are not competitive with the standard 12. The are NOT sub to the EC12 standard but a different boat with good qualities for sailing.

I have not researched but I would guess there are more Heritage boats in the EC12 class Registry than any of the others combined, which includes all the 70's stuff.

There are a lot of these boats out there that are not known. I cannot count the number of explanations I have made to people why the boat they found cannot be registered. I think that a well thought out classic one-design for the boat is appropriate and the market is already in place. Yes, we will lose a lot in the EC12 class but will gain another that is of interest to all EC12 people.

You will get my assistance and the use of EC12Net to advertise the new class. I think it is a great addition to AMYA over these toy boats in a box. Go for it, Jim. This is a good time so that forming up is easier in the summer.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:37 am

HOORAH! There might be a use for my old Reynolds mold after all! I could make a brand new old boat! I totally agree a well thought out set of one design rules would mandatory, and it would breathe life into all those boats that have been sitting around collecting dust.

I would like to take Rick up on his generous offer for use of the board here (just a seperate section to keep things straight and not get off topic here) before diving into such a project.

This could even lead to a SuperBowl of Champions once a year.. what a grudge match that could become! [:D]
Larry Ludwig

Postby s vernon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:49 pm

The discussion seems to have taken a turn towards seriousness, but I still feel it is worthy of an attempt at humor.

We could make a whole bunch of new specialty antique EC12 classes.

Hot Rod Antique Class for boats like Ricky’s Dumas – 17 lbs of lead, balsa glass deck, RMG, latest hot sails. Could include any non 95 std except Ozmun. (How come them old Ozmuns are so fast and competitive? Actually I know why; the keel is and inch or so wide. I just do not understand how that happened in the great historical scheme of things as recorded by Rod Carr. I could not find that wonderful chart today (?)) Alright, I found it on the GHMYC site

http://home.comcast.net/~ghmyc/ec12_genealogy.htm

Dumas Heritage Class – made per the Dumas kit – only badly made too flat sails allowed. There are plenty of those sails out there, often made by excellent sailmakers with the best of intentions. Lack of camber could be measured to determine if your sails comply.

“Old Warriorâ€
s vernon

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:58 pm

Well I have to respectfully dissagree. They are still EC-12 boats, and all this offers is for more boats and consequently more people to become involved... and for my annual dues.. that is what this is all about. It discourages nothing, it provides an avenue for boats that would otherwise be relegated to the attic (0r worse.. become Ebay bait for someone thinking that they are going to be competitive) to suddenly have a viable worth.

Yes I know, there are great sailors that are still achieving great results inspite of the age of their boat... but that is a reflection on the individual and the amount of skill/practice that has been invested. I have never found an arguement that proved they would not improve their performance with an improved boat. As long as time continues to march along, boats are going to grow old (along with their owners) and newer techs will change the face again and again. Being able to adapt is what makes the class great (seen any dinos lately?) and long lived. No boat is being excluded from EC-12 competition... it is retro... it just gives a chance for the older boats to compete on a level playing field.

No regattas will be cancelled because older boats are allowed to be raced independantly. There should be no difference of opinion towards this than looking at the current venue of fleet racing and match racing at the same event.

For that matter... ALL of the boats could be raced at the same time, and scored seperately. What could possibly be wrong with that? Boats and people come out that have not been coming out for 10 years... again.. what is the harm?

What is the worse thing that could happen... some old boats come out of the attics and win some regattas against newer boats... now... that would be tragic...

Is there thought that the older boats would stop coming to the current regattas? Well... I can tell you this... if they have been coming and they are WINNING you can bet they will be back. If they have been coming and losing... might they not enjoy competing on their own level?

I am still chomping on the fact that entry to events is limited in numbers and there is <u>no system for relegating </u> who should get the slots. Region 3 has almost as many boats registered as the other 5 regions COMBINED. Would it be safe to say that this Region alone would have enough members to fill out the available slots... and consequently the hosting club will be limited to the number of entrants that will be allowed to participate?

When the slots open for the Nats in MCO, at Disney, with deluxe accomodations promising a wondeful SOLD OUT event, some throttle jockey that has never been to even a Regional event much less a national and never practices gets the slot over an experienced club racer that has not made the "Cut" in his local sponsoring club because he is racing against other equally experienced and practiced sailors... just because that guy is hauling his can all the way from South Texas is simply and blatantly unfair.

Maybe it even more boats become involved, and the numbers grow even more that issue will sort itself out.

There is no need for seperate registration, or class distinction, or any other such change, just a chance to let the older boats compete among themselves. This is not something limited to EC-12 either, Rick and I have spoken on this very subject with the J class which is facing something similar. No one wants to split the class or divide the membership. If funds were being routed away from the Class to a minority group there might be concern.. but then too... if old boats re-surface and join and pay their dues as well... doesn't that benefit the entire class as well?

I see nothing but good in this. [:)]

Now... if you are going to start bringing back boats <u>that cannot be registered under the current rules... </u> on the pretense of them racing with the Heritage group... NOW you have cause for concern because the migration back to the main body will be a problem. That would be a problem... but probably no worse than it already is. That is an on going problem that Rick has already had to deal with.
Larry Ludwig

Postby Jim Linville » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:15 pm

Love Scott's humor! [:)] My boat has added loose bars of solder for ballast. They clank around when the boat tacks. I fastened them with duct tape on the one occasion I tried to sail it in comprtition. One if them broke loose blocked the bang bang winch arn and crushed my receiver (luckily it was a cheap old 27 mHz thingie that came with the boat). By the way, this is true... [B)]

Seriously, is there a FAQ section where I can start trying to figure out what to do? Is it against forum policy for people to recommend which new hulls to buy? If not please do. --Jim Linville
Jim Linville

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:27 pm

I think that older boats should be handled one of the following ways.

problem I see if it is developed as a seperate one design class is that guys will be forced to choose what events they attend. The Colonial up for instance fields 1 regatta a Month. For myself that is alot on top of our two club days a month, a few J boat regattas ( building one this season) as well as my other hobbies and obligations.

I personally at one point had 6 R/C boats 2 EC-12 Two Fairwinds a US One Meter, a 36/600, a Whitbread W-60. I ended up selling all but the two 12's, kepping my old Dumas ( 3rd hand to me) for a buddy boat or Club boat.......I actually sold it to a new member at a pretty fair loss just to get the guy on the water. This new member will be building a new 95 std boat and this old girl may very well end up in it's 5th owner's hands ( although I think it needs reballasted)

Now I would have just loved to keep the old girl but she would have seen much dust collecting on here and is much better served with a new skipper, new club member and new ec-12 registered owner

Now I know it's hard to sell the boat you built 20 years ago or so.....but if it's not fast you prob are not going to take it and sail it at an EC-12 event.....you know you want to win...or at least do good

So why not hang the old girl on your wall like Reichard and have fond memories of it.....

Refit it and kick your buddies asses all over the lake with your "Old" boat

Refit it and sell it to a new eager skipper

Sell it as is and give a new skipper a value. Worst case you will get a new guy in your club.

There are alot of people interested in EC-12's...most not wanting to travel to Regional events...but they are not going to spend 1000.00 or more for a new boat........or may not have the time/skills or tools to build one themselves.

Heck, even if you keep the boat but get your local scout group or something invloved with it......great way to get younger guys involved. Heck you could even donate it for tax purposes to an organization like scouts.......remember you can have cummulative donations up to 4999.99 without an apraisal, just need to fill out the long form. thats 1500.00 you don't have to pay your uncle and you can get a kid(kids) involved

On to the Nationals slot limitations.....first come first serve does stink...but thats the way it is right now.

Perhaps in the future each club gets a number of slots based....either equal ammounts or based on thier boat registrations. Then each club can decide how they give them out.....perhaps by lottery, by performance or flat out $$$$ HAHA.....if these registarions are not paid by X date then they become available to the general populous. This would be much more like the Champions Regatta as you know the fast guys will be there.......or at least the fast guys in thier individual clubs (that would be OK with me....LOL)
Doug Wotring

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:55 pm

Thanks Reichard... sorry to hear about the future empty spot on the wall after your next future Champion boat climbs down.

If *I* were king....

I would require the Nationals to be held in a place that had access to <u>two seperate ponds </u> (for radio seperation) where the boats could be split into 2 fleets and race for a period of time (whatever it takes... probably half the event) and then re-organized into an "A" fleet "B" fleet.

If it is good enough for the Hobie nationals........[;)]

There can be a seeding system if desired... to place say.. the top 5 or maybe even the top 10 from the previous year... or throw 'em all in and let the chips fall as they may. I don't mind seeing slots made available for guys that travel in... and for you Kermie, ANYONE that is willing to come across the pond should be automatically in REGARDLESS.

I am not trying to disuade or discourage anyone... just the opposite. I want to see the attendance GROW. What cheeses me was seeing last year at the Vic nationals (No... don't have one, don't want one) a LOT of local club members were not allowed to race the Nationals held by their own club... because there were only so many slots for the local guys (10 I think).... So... because they were not allowed to race, none of them showed to even help run the regatta. BOO![:(]

I am proud of the EC-12, the AMYA and the whole ball of wax.. and I want to see it grow into something bigger and better. I want to see our people going over to Kermie's Pub and racing on HIS pond (if he lets us)[:p]

Unitl there are enough races to make a points system viable... having skippers attend "points" races to reach the min needed to attend the Nats... I think everyone that is willing to make the trip should get a shot.

Now... there were a couple of shots in there... about me travelling... well.. I have been travelling for a lifetime, but I never got to pick WHERE.

OK... I have a brand new trailer now with 5 J boats, 6 EC-12's, an AC-15, 2 S/B's, M, and a partridge in a pear tree, and all the other boats in the shop at home, a brand new engine in the Bronco getting 14MPG and we are travelling now by golly. Goofballs that sign up but don't show up... and rip off nice old guys for $1,600 cash and never deliver the boat but keep the cash... well... consider the source... and NEVER EVER give the money before you get the boat. (unless you get it from ME [:D]

I say... EVERYONE race. Split the fleet and you knock a fair amount of the freq problems down right there. If you still have them when it is time to put the fleet back for "A" and "B", work them out as best you can... but if there is a deadlock... higher points to date gets the freq. I bet if Kermie comes over from UK Land he brings a bag full of freq's with him[:0]

If you are willing to invest in this hobby.. boat.. hotel, and everything else... a few extra freq's is nothing... and if you show up at an event bringing 40+ guys and only 2 freqs in your box... shame on you.

Oh.. and if *I* were STILL King... I would make one race a day be a "LeMans Start" which for all you young guys out there... the drivers were forced to stand on the opposite side of the track... and when the flag dropped... they had to sprint across the track and fire up the engine on their machine and get after it. I think that everyone should have to carry their boat BY THE HATCH OPENING... <u>NO SLINGS..</u>.. 100 yards and put it in the water and start from shore. The sound of cracking balsa decks would be deafening...[xx(]

Oh... and the Nats will fill up in 48 hours, watch and see. The only reason it would not is because people don't know about it the moment it comes out. I predict.. you could get 75 if they could handle it.
Larry Ludwig

Next

Return to Ask the Secretary