On Board Telemetry

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

On Board Telemetry

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 am

To all sailors of the EC12 Class. I need to make it clear that...

On Board Telemetry is not permitted in the EC12 Class.

The Class Rules spell out the use of just 4 radio controls. They are Rudder, Sail Winch, Jib Trim and Jib Twitcher.

All other sail controls must be manually adjusted. Back Stay, Vang, Halyards, Outhauls, etc can only be adjusted by hand.

On Board Telemetry would be a radio controlled feature that is not one of the 4 controls allowed.

New radios come standard with battery level readouts now. Technically this too would be radio function, but since it is only there to warn you that your battery is about to die, it is not an issue here.

FPV cameras and telemetry that provides wind speed and direction, hull speed, angle of heel, heading, tack, sheet position, etc sent to your radio or attached display is not allowed in the EC12 Class.

I am sure this technology will be cheap and a lot of fun for some people. If other Classes want to use it and develop a class that requires it, great. Go sail one of those.

The EC12 Class is an historic model yacht where skippers use two thumbs and their wits to compete with others.

If you want to attach all that stuff to your boat to record some video or other data so that you can better understand how your boat is performing on the water, knock yourself out. Just make sure you remove all of it prior to competing in any EC12 Class regatta. Especially at the Regional and National championship events.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Re: On Board Telemetry

Postby greerdr » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 pm

"THEIR" wits not somewhere there(sic).
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Re: On Board Telemetry

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks for the proofreading Doc. I fixed it.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Ask the Secretary