Mixing Rig Sizes is Verboten

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Mixing Rig Sizes is Verboten

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:41 pm

It has come to my attention that a few EC12 skippers have MISinterpreted the Class Rules regarding mixing of sail rigs.

Rule 12.2 says: The forestay/jibstay shall be attached so that the projected intersection with the forward edge of the mast is no higher than 59” (1500 mm) above the deck.

Because there is no specific attachment point spelled out for B- and C-rigs, some have interpreted this to mean you can have your B-rig jib attached to the mast at 59 inches. FINE! If you feel that is an accurate interpretation, then go ahead and have your B-jib go up that high on your B-rig. Your B-jib will not fit the fore triangle correctly, So if you think it works for you, go for it.

BUT, and this is a very big BUT, Rule 18.4 very clearly states that: Rigs shall only be used as a complete set and the mixing of sails from different rig sizes is prohibited.

In short, putting an A-jib on a B-main rig, is absolutely against the rules. This so called "B Plus" rig is prohibited by the Class Rules.

If someone wants to argue that the two rules conflict with each other or are not written in a way that is clear from any misinterpretations, I am open to a discussion and we can figure out the proper wording to solve the issue and amend the Class Rules. However, let me be clear, the mixing of sail sizes/rigs is prohibited and always has been. The use of a mixed rig at any EC12 regatta will result in a disqualification.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Ask the Secretary