survey info

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

survey info

Postby kermwood » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:30 pm

Being the new "kid ?" on the block forgive me if the following has been asked before.
l see that a survey is being taken from those completing in the nationals,and l would like to know if

(1)The findings are put out on site

(2)why not a survey of all listed skippers/owners? and maybe newcomers when they registar with the class

(3)and maybe a up date yearly or every other year to see what the trends are towards new hulls being brought and equipment fitted to them and how they are set up?

l guess l just like to have lots of information! Woody
kermwood

Postby PaulP » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:30 pm

I am the one who coordinated the survey and am compiling the data. Once completed, it will be placed on this site.

The survey was done as a service to newcomers, to give them some ideas on how to set up their boat.

I plan to conduct the survey at every Nationals. After a few years, we may be able to display trends but at this point, it is too early in the statistical analysis.

I think that adding "newcomer" or "beginner" info to the survey would skew the figures. We want it to be an information resource, not a popularity contest. Those attending the Nationals typify the competitor and give a good cross-sample of the fleet.

Hope to have the completed survey available in a couple weeks.

Paul Proefrock
PaulP

Postby kermwood » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:04 pm

At the start of my question l did point out that i was new to the class and to bear with me,but l seem to have rattled your cage!
l was not questioning the value of your survey rather l was trying to show the direction it COULD take in the future.New boat owners are not always new skippers and 30 skippers out of 300 is hardly a fair represetion of opinion.
l did wonder how come it was always the same people using the site compared to those reg if the postings that have posted the last few days are typical then l can see why.
l understood that this site was for the betterment of the class and was open for debate and new ideas even if you don t agree with them
kermwood

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:45 am

Text can be a difficult way to understand someone's meanings without voice inflexion and facial reactions... it is extremely easy to misconstrue someones intent. I promise that Paul was not saying anything that if you were in the room hearing him speak you would have taken offense towards. [:)]

Remember in the old days (ahhhh..... good ol DOS) and you had to
use <G> all the time?

I am guessing that the information about "Beginners" was offensive... and if I understood Paul correctly... what he was saying was that he was going to take "Setup" information from the skippers that were more seasoned, than the rookies. If you went to INDY for the 500, you would take the advise of MEARS or A.J. before you took that of a rookie right? Anyone can BUY a boat... that is just statistics...and all would be included... tuning the rig is OPINION...it takes a little more experience to set one up in the 90+ percentile.

As long as I am here.. PAUL... I did not realize that you were doing the survey, I asked someone somewhere if there would be a listing of what hulls, what sails, what winch, because I like to look at stats for the fun of it... and I was told that there was not going to be a survey taken at the Nats... so... this means you got one?? Amazing the amount of misinformation floating around out there.

I would include one more category that would be most interesting... heheheh.. WHAT PRICE... just don't let wives see it.[xx(]
Larry Ludwig

Postby Doug Wotring » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:20 pm

Would be interesting to see price and Manhours on a build of new boats
Doug Wotring

Postby PaulP » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:34 pm

Woody,
You took my response wrong. I feel that adding statistics for "rookies" boats could skew the numbers incorrectly.

You have given me an idea for a general "new boat" questionaire to be filled by anyone and then trends displayed. That has been added to my site upgrade list.

The original purpose of the Nationals survey was to show what the guys at the Nationals used. There is always desire for that information.

Paul P

ps: I have re-read my response repeatedly and don't see how I "rattled your cage" but as Larry Ludwig points out, it is difficult to get the inflexion of a message. Don't stop posting, your questions are more than welcome.
PaulP

Postby PaulP » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Larry Ludwig</i>

As long as I am here.. PAUL... I did not realize that you were doing the survey, I asked someone somewhere if there would be a listing of what hulls, what sails, what winch, because I like to look at stats for the fun of it... and I was told that there was not going to be a survey taken at the Nats... so... this means you got one?? Amazing the amount of misinformation floating around out there.

I would include one more category that would be most interesting... heheheh.. WHAT PRICE... just don't let wives see it.[xx(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Larry,
Scott originally did not plan a survey. I was the one who jumped on that wagon, I like statistics and tech info. Not sure who your source was.

Regarding price, I didn't ask that question. Afraid my wife would find out how much I am saving her by playing with toy boats instead of full size [:D]

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Matthew Houghton » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:09 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Afraid my wife would find out how much I am saving her by playing with toy boats instead of full size

Oh my gosh. That's one angle I haven't tried yet. See this message board is EXTREMELY helpful.

Matt
Matthew Houghton

Postby bigdog » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:05 pm

Ah yes, full size boats.

70 feet of dock space at a commercial yard..... 175.00/ month

48 feet of dock space at a public marina....... 100.00/ month

covered, dry storage for 2-18 footers.......... 50.00 / each

being able to slide a Vic under a bed in the spare bedroom...priceless

Dog
bigdog

Postby Matthew Houghton » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:02 pm

Dog,

We need to talk about this VIC thing!

See you at Columbia.

Matto
Matthew Houghton

Postby kahle67 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:20 pm

Alright, Dog. It's fine to keep that VIC hidding under your bed as long as the 12 sleeps in it.

RK
kahle67

Postby bigdog » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:05 pm

You guys are too much. Is it any wonder why we like this sport so much?

The Dog spoke again [8D]
bigdog

Return to Ask the Secretary