2014 Measurement Certification Procedure

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

2014 Measurement Certification Procedure

Postby jsteacy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:21 pm

Need a couple of points clarified, please.
1. Does the beam measurement INCLUDE tumble home? Rick W. posted several years (8/31/12) back that is does NOT. The instructions with the Policy would indicate it does. We have some boats that are really, really close to the max when including the tumble home.
The current rule states measuring at the 'beam', a common nautical term meaning the widest part of the boat, and has been the rule since 2005. So yes, you should measure at the beam and if a boat does not conform, measure at the sheer, (I suggest less than 1/4 inch below the top deck surface) and advise the CS of the boat particulars. Prior to this the rule had specified measuring the sheer curve (starting Jan 1, 1978). A motion has been made to change the rule, and the class will vote this year. There will be discussion when the motion is published. TomP.

2. Is there any leeway in the keel thickness? If the fattest part of the keel is several thousandths over 2.1" should we get out the grinder and the gel coat?
The problem has been noted and occurs after the boat has been joined. It has been addressed by a motion to change the rule to specify that the 2.1 is after joining by the hull Mfg, and adding a maximum of 2.15 (54.61mm) after installation of lead. Again, the class will vote this year. My new boat came in too wide, when measured with our keel block, wider than 2.145. When measured at the specific MM conversion at 2.15, it was OK. Notify the CS if you find anything different

3. What is the norm when it comes to adding weight to the boat to compensate for the rig when tank testing? Is it placed on the step or does it get split and some on the step and some on the bow?
The weight is set on the mast step, 12.5 oz if the boat cannot be measured with the mast up,
Thanks Joe
Last edited by Capt. Flak on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Edited by Tom P- measure point "less than 1/4 below top deck surface"
John S.
jsteacy

Re: 2014 Measurement Certification Procedure

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:47 pm

The revised measuring policy is available on the class web site. It should answer your questions, but feel free to contact Joe Walter or Tom Phillips, or any of the classmates on the measurers list.

http://www.ec12.org/Admin/Files/EC12_Me%20...%20Policy.pdf

The link http://ec12.org/Admin/ClassRules.htm will also give you the current rules, and some measuring options on tank construction.

IF YOU NEED THE CLASS RULES FOR BOATS REGISTERED PRIOR TO THIS 2013 EDITION OF THE RULES, PLEASE CONTACT ME. I have rules from 1973, 1978, 1986, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2013.

If anyone has any other rules editions, would love to get a copy. Thanks
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby jsteacy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks Tom. With yours and Joe's latest it is all much clearer and will allow us to proceed with the documentation process.
John S.
jsteacy

Postby rs vernon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Let me see if I have this right. I could not find anything that said we should notify anyone when a boat gets certified. I could have missed it.

If I am on solid ground, then it seems that we have been told in the rules and policy section of this website that we are expected to show up at the upcoming and all future NCRs and regional regattas with a certified boat and the paper that backs this up.

Please correct me if I missed something.
rs vernon

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:01 pm

You are correct, no copies need be sent in to anyone. We asked that a boat that FAILED inspection to be reported to the CS.

Keep your registration,(make a cy) bring a copy to any regatta requiring measurement. (recommend you keep a copy in your equipment box) IF YOU MAKE ANY CHANGE TO THE DETAILS OF THE BOAT SUCH AS CHANGING BATTERY TYPE THAT AFFECTS THE WATERLINE, INSPECT IT AGAIN. NEW RIGS NEED TO BE CHECKED ETC.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby greerdr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 pm

maybe tape the bottom section of the certificate to the back of the boat registration card.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 pm

We do not issue registration cards anymore, so only older boats will have those. I suggest a ziplock bag and keep it in your tool box. I have one baggy with all my AMYA members cards over the years (I don't throw them out for some reason, my "old" registration card from my old boat, and the instruction book for the RMG winch. It is tucked into a nice corner of my tool box.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Grace Period Announced

The Class Secretary has posted a notice and procedure for some boats that have failed inspection to be given a temporary measurement pass for this years (2014) National Championship and remaining Regional Championships. The information is in a recent EC12 Net News and is posted to the class web site.

Please read the policy posted to the Class Web Site: http://www.ec12.org/Admin/Files/Grace_Period.pdf
This is posted in the Administration, Rules and Policy section: http://www.ec12.org/Admin/ClassRules.htm

Additionally, policy regarding pending motions and how the outcome will be handled are posted.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Return to Ask the Secretary