New boat / Old Sail Numbers

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

New boat / Old Sail Numbers

Postby breakwater » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm kicking around the idea of a shiny new boat from one of the various suppliers this winter.

My question is in regards to sail numbers and YRN within the class.
If I intend on keeping my old Hickman, Can I buy an new class-standard boat, and sail it under my existing sail number?

I quite like my sail number and want to keep it.
Sparkman & Stephens: Design 1343 A 12 Meter named Columbia.
http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com/20 ... umbia.html
12-1975
M-2333 M-2377 M-3741 M-3933
breakwater

Re: New boat / Old Sail Numbers

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:30 pm

The answer is yes, so long as you own both boats.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby greerdr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:54 pm

And put new number on old boat or keep her in the barn not to be raced?
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby breakwater » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 pm

I would anticipate actively sailing both boats under the same sail number. Depends on the Venue.
Stowe is on the circuit.
And I Hope you Join us at Redds Pond next-season. I've asked to put our names in the rotation for a 2-day regatta sometime next year.
We're 2-years into the EC-12 and now have Seven regulars sailing the EC-12 class.

If NOAA says it's going to blow 10, you can rest assured it will blow 5 at Redds Pond.
This place drives some people nuts. The others turn into some of the sharpest sailors in the country because NOWHERE does the wind shift as much as at Redds. We aren't Santa Ana sailors.
I think the old light-boats do just fine at Redds.

I like my class-legal extremely light Hickman. But I learned my lesson once and don't need to learn it ever again that sailing a light boat downwind at a place like Mystic is alot to ask. Of anyone.
But put that light boat in the right application and it will blow you away on the downwind leg.

Sure, the class in general is better off if everyone was sailing the same exact one-design hull. But I sure won't relegate this Hickman to a barn. If I don't buy a new boat. it's what I've got. And I want to sail just as bad as anyone else.

And If I do buy a new boat. No sense in selling it. It's worth more to me than what someone will pay for it.

The Hickman will sail irregardless. The only question is will a new heavy boat show up at the heavy air places- Like Newport.
12-1975
breakwater

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:45 am

Eddie,

As I said, you are allowed to use a set of sails from one boat you own on another boat that you also own. For example, if you own 1234 and have 34 on the jib and the other boat is 4321 and has 21 on the jib. If you prefer to see the number 34, then by all means, put 34 on the other boat. Again, YOU MUST OWN BOTH BOATS!

BUT, sailing both boats at the same time in the same regatta, you should use the correct sail numbers on each boat.

The class policy on registration and sail numbers does provide for special requested sail numbers when purchasing a new boat that has not yet been registered. But typically, the numbers are assigned in order to the manufactures and they already have a set of labels for the boats they are making.

You can ask the manufacturer or ask me (Class Secretary) for a specific sail number. If that number is available, then you may have it. It may need to be another number ending in the two digits you want. For example, if you have 1234 and are used to seeing 34 on your jib and you want another boat with 34, we might assign you the new number 3034 or 3134 or whatever number will be next on the roster. But we will never assign the same 4 digit number to two different boats.

Also, we will not assign the number requested if there is already a number of boats in your region with the same last two digits. In other words, if there are already 3 or 4 number 34s actively racing in your region, it might be confusing to the race staff. At my own lake, we have three 24s and three 62s. I will probably not okay that number combination in this region again. At some point, you just need to get used to a different set of numbers.

I hope this helps.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby breakwater » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Well, We're all in agreement here. and It's all perfectly reasonable.

I like my number- 1343.I'd like to keep it, as I've invested in sails....
I'm quite familiar with the last two digit job- I.E. M-2333 and M-3933. But my EC-12 sails all have the full four-digit number on them. (That's the way it should be for ALL classes anyway)

No intentions to have both boats sail in the same regatta. That's really the only time it actually would matter.

In Marblehead we have a few close numbers.

42,43,44. and they usually cross the finish line in the same manner! 49 is not too far behind.
12-1975
breakwater

Postby Rick West » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:15 am

The simplicity, as Joe has eluded to, is to keep the "registered hull" of the boat number you want. Then build and sail as many as you like that are registered with other numbers by the sail number of the one you like. It is a small price to pay (or not recover) to keep your cherished number on your sails.

The registered YRN for a hull is for that hull and becomes the heritage of that hull. The numbers on the rig have nothing to do with "Her" registered YRN; forever until the hull is destroyed. Think of it as the boat owns the number, not you. It is simple. Good Evening.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Return to Ask the Secretary