Sailing Video and Album Location.

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Sailing Video and Album Location.

Postby Rick West » Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

Per Chuck Luscomb's post on the Newport regatta - does the class class have a U Tube Channel account for videos and photo albums? We have specific sites for business, information, listing regatta and registering for regattas with one link for all to use. It would be nice for all to know where to go for regatta images and listed as part of class links. Is U Tube a place for this that could be official?
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Re: Sailing Video and Album Location.

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

I will look into it.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Mon May 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Super. Thanks. See ya this weekend.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Mon May 20, 2013 7:55 pm

I am still looking for the place to post pix of regattas.
If we have one I'll take a camera to Stowe.
See you there "Ranger" Rick.
I'll tell the story for an IPA ale at the bar.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am

We do have a discussion thread with photo and video link space, but it needs a volunteer to deal with it. Who would step up?

Ernie Freeland has the Youtube video link.
See Admin thread Photo and Video Event Links
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu May 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi Tom,

What is involved in doing the job?
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Fri May 24, 2013 12:26 am

I am not sure but I think Chuck is on the CAC and somewhat vague about the the others. I looked tonight and only see Tom. Joe said he was looking into it. Maybe that is the contact. Whereas, this kind of management I would think would be part of the office staff, those interested might need some idea of the scope of what is expected. Chuck might be the one to assume a staff position as a class advisory. Go for it. It could be a fun job.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby bigfoot55 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:02 am

Joe and I did some looking and there are many new and emerging photo and video hosting services. Some are free, some would likely end up costing something. The thread Photo and Video Event Links is open for anyone to post links to their established site. We do not have a 'class site', so if someone has a flicker, yahoo etc, that allows open viewing, go ahead and post. We recommend not using sites that require a sign-in to view as many will not do so.

Ernie Freeland has a site: YouTube.com/eastcoast12meter The intention was originally that this would be a site for video to be posted but you needed to send the video to him. We do not know the status, maybe that is still a possibility.

If someone wants to investigate a 'Class' photo/video site, that is certainly an idea that would be welcome. It would also likely require someone to be the moderator or editor of the site. I suggest someone with that interest volunteer to investigate it and contact Chuck Luscomb directly via email with information on how to do it, recommended host(s) and cost if any. Note- free fits the budget.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby Rick West » Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 am

Yep, it was a tough nut to crack, Tom. The last attempt to get any CAC member to manage a segment of our media failed. However, I have always thought that it is where it should be, internal and with communications and therefore, within the council of class officers. In any case, it is the management thing.

It is a media and part of the services to the members and marketing to the public interested. It is too, hard to organize; moving data, editing out and sizing but the posting is easy. It is nice to have others offer their part time for the variety of this type of media. The drawback is that it becomes scattered and with little standard. Doc Greer has been as close we have come to one place. It follows his sailing schedule that rivals mine. The proliferation of his and Kelli's photos fueled it. But he has other AMYA duties and a medical practice that is a life in itself.

A call for a volunteer is a start but cannot be thrown to the wind. Contributors should have the ability to process there own images, file size them to a suitable emailing and website image, like 1024x728. Images cannot be sent from the camera directly to an email address. The broadband needed is huge by the cameras out there now. Actually, cameras today can be set to take photos at a selected file size and not the 3 meg plus images many spread around.

The class has a large number of members that cannot travel and participate as much as they would like. They have, in the past, begged for photo essays of scheduled regatta events. They are sailors too and such reports are like a vicarious experience. Then too, the public sees what is going on and if they are interested enough to search for the URL, they are wanting.

The class office may not have the time to manage another media but surely it could offer some standards to help guide those that might step up.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 am

Rick, I appreciate your interest in the class providing a venue for media. It is something we are looking into. As for photos of the regattas, I think we have done a pretty good job of posting them quickly after each event. Whether we link to members who posted their photos on one of the photo sharing sites or if I take the simm card from Doc Greer and make a slide show and post it, we are getting the photos of regattas out to the members and the public. Some might say we are providing too many photos. The last slide show I did of Doc and Karen's photos from the Villages was over 250 images.

As for videos, that is another issue and it requires time and energy that we do not have right now. We have looked into setting up an account with YouTube and we have already seen a number of members post videos in various places. We will always link to those videos if we feel they help the class and show it in a good light. Chuck seems to indicate an interest in helping with this, but as of yet, we have not talked about it together. If he or others want to step up to help maintain a video resource, I will be happy to talk to them about it and give them whatever resources may be needed.

Standards would come with knowledge and experience when it comes to video. As for photos, I would caution against anyone setting up their camera to take only web quality photos. If a great photo is taken at an event that could be used for print, like the cover of Model Yachting, it would be completely worthless in a web formatted size. It is much better to take photos at high resolution and use the photo sharing sites or applications like Photoshop to resize the photos for the web and keep the originals for print when needed.

Anyone out there interested in sharing their photos with the class can email me directly to talk about it. I am happy to help. Anyone interested in helping us with video may also email me.

Thanks
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Fri May 24, 2013 11:49 am

Okay, wasn't on my table anyway but my 2 cents. Been there and done that.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Guys,

I think I am on the CAC... That said, the club administration page on this website that used to identify members is no longer.

In order to roll with current media demands and expectations, I think we need to consider video as the next opportunity to promote our activities. Photos are great and Doc and others have done a great job at capturing the events with "stills' but we may be falling behind the times somewhat if we do not move in that direction. It speaks volumes to possible members both young and old that we are keeping pace with the best promotional media resources.

Watching some of the IOM events that have been produced by some very professional media companies has done quite a bit to bring attention to the IOM Class. I am not suggesting that we hire people, just saying that we need to look at a video option to cover some of our bigger events. Nationals for sure. I still get comments from people who see what Ernest has posted on our Youtube channel. Good stuff.

Happy to consider working in that direction if you would like me to Joe.

Chuck
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Guess I'll bring the old Leica to Stowe.
I had decided to leave that big bag home.
Hope I can find a willing helper.
This is a discussion also at AMYA level-lets all keep looking and talking;I agree lots of eyes go to pix (and video if there).
See you guys at Stowe.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby IrishAye » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Folks,

Regarding video ..............all the free sites have limitations on the lenght of video clips that can be uploaded ....usually Max 15 Min. The second issue is with video quality / Resolution. Most cameras today support HD 720p or 1080p resolution and the quality is determined by the bit/rate, and compression encoding .

I use 720P 30 Frames/sec with a H264 Codec and the quality is quite good on my PC which gives approximately 5800 kbps on the low end.. So 15 Mins of data is approx 5.2GB. Now to upload such a video clip without editing it will take the best part of 1 Hr to You Tube. After the file is uploaded it will be re-encoded by YouTube to compress it and reduce the quality greatly.

Now with Vimeo and other video storage sites with a paid subscription you get
Vimeo:
Cost: Free for Basic plan, which allows up to 500MB/week uploads, including 1 HD video, or $9.95/month or $59.95/year for Plus membership, which includes up to 5GB/week uploads and unlimited HD videos (see Premium section for Vimeo Pro)
Content Restrictions: No commercial content.
Note ...the free storage has resolution and quality limitations......worse that you tube.

SproutVideo

SproutVideo is a business video hosting solution that offers a number of features important to businesses. These include security and privacy options, SSL embeds, domain whitelists, HD video, mobile playback, easily customizable video players, and embeddable videos. Their analytics will show you how many plays your videos get, where those plays are coming from, which videos are popular, and where your videos are being viewed on the web.

Cost: $10 to $750 per month depending on bandwidth and storage needs, there’s a $1 free trial available

So there are many expensive choices ....but you tube works for now and is free. Video takes up a lot of storage space and many hrs of labor uploading clips hence it is a labor of love....♥

ciao,

Martin
Irish-aye
IrishAye

Postby breakwater » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 pm

This class would benefit from a Facbook Page.

Check out the one I made for MMYC:
https://www.facebook.com/MarbleheadModelYachtClub

There are several albums on that page, without much fuss.
12-1975
M-2333 M-2377 M-3741 M-3933
breakwater

Return to Ask the Secretary