National seeding list

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

National seeding list

Postby dplin2001 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm trying to understand how the NSL works. I look at the list and it says avg points from last 3 races. But some haven't raced 3 races and have a very high total. I would think that if I only sail one race and win I would then get 33.3 points. It doesn't seem fair that the guys who sail multiple events and are being scored using an average score and guys who do well in one event are not being scored with an average score.

Thanks
Dave
dplin2001

Re: National seeding list

Postby dplin2001 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:27 pm

I found the NSL document and read it, here is my question. This is a hypothetical example.

The villages regatta is coming up and it's A, B only split by the NSL.

The scenario is sailor A sails one race the past year and wins. Sailor B sails three races, wins one of them and finishes last in the next two. What are the NSL points for sailor A and B???
The way I see it now is sailor A get 100 and sailor B gets 40.
Is this correct?
Dave
dplin2001

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:20 pm

David,

The likely-hood of a person winning one regatta and being last in two others is pretty remote.

It is not perfect, but any system will have some problems.

That is why it has been left to each race committee host to determine how the regatta will be conducted and a review planned at the end of 2013.

Please refer to the complete policy on the NSL. http://ec12.org/Admin/Files/NSL_2013.pdf and specifically to the RECOMMENDATIONS.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby dplin2001 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks Joe, I did read the document after my first post. One last question, why avg at all? It would be more fair IMO if you just add the points from your best three regattas. So in my example sailor A would have 100 Pts and sailor B would have 120.

Thanks, now I'll shut up
Dave
dplin2001

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:37 pm

The reason for the average is that there were many who felt that they were disadvantaged for missing regattas because of conflicts and that their scores were low only because they were unable to attend and not because they sailed poorly. It is a very few skippers who benefit from having an average of one or two regattas vs those who have an average of three. As soon as they sail in one more regatta, those averages quickly correct themselves. Also, we give the tie breaker to the skipper with more regattas sailed. So if there are two skippers with the same average, but one is an average of one regatta and the other is an average of three, the skipper who sailed more regattas is placed ahead of the other.

Again, it is not perfect and it will be reviewed. There are a lot of ways we can work this and we may still make changes to it as we see how it plays out.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Ask the Secretary