Mini America's Cup

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Mini America's Cup

Postby Columbia » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 am

Can some one shed some light on what ever happened to the Mini America's Cup?
Joe
Columbia

Re: Mini America's Cup

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:05 am

Wow Joe, I have been sailing the EC12 for 13 years now, and I have only heard about that event as a way back when story. I am happy to let someone chime in and she'd some light.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Columbia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:35 am

I know the event was held in Newport, RI. It was a fleet race and not a match race. I have a flyer from circa 1986, that once I can figure out how to post a picture on here, I will like to share with the group.
Joe
Columbia

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:06 am

Sounds good Joe. I am sure we would like to see that. I know there are guys out there who can tell us more about the event. When I get home from this regatta, I can do some research.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby s vernon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:20 am

How to post a photo. Per Paul Proefrock. You have to get it all exactly right, of course for the image to appear.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=236
Scott
s vernon

Postby bigfoot55 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:59 pm

I know we had a long run of the Mini Cup back when, and it was a big deal.

We have in the Class files an 8 page brochure:
1983 Mini-America's Cub Newsletter Vol4 No 1

Like the big boats, it was mostly match racing .

It shows a great deal of support by Newport and the State of R.I. I will scan the brochure and maybe some folks will have more information. Email me for a pdf.

Lead Article says "Cleave of U.K. becomes Defender" Good to have John back at it in 2012. Picture shows a (somewhat) younger John. Lots of interesting tid bits and photos in it.

There are also in our history references to match racing along with ACCR/NCR regattas in the past. I do not know why they were dropped. One of our past Class Secretaries or participants may be able to add info.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby whays » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:58 pm

best this 70 year old can remember, it was trademake issue, Rod Carr may remember the details, somewhere, I may have a pic. of French 12 meter, tacking to a ec-12.
whays

Postby Dennis R » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:35 am

Hi, my name is Dennis Ryan and I have some information about the Mini America's Cup. My wife and I were the race directors for 2 of the 3 Mini Cups that were held in Newport, RI. I believe the original mini-cup event was held in Washington, DC and was won by Buddy Black. The cup series was the brainchild of Rich Palmer who did a lot of PR work for the Hobby Industries of America which was one of the sponsors. We were the local AMYA club (#51, Narragansett Bay Model Yachting Association) and that is how we got involved. A small committee of members worked with Rich and the HIA to set up and run the events. As most club members wanted to participate in the event, our committee was rather small. Our first race in Newport was in 1977.

It has been a long time but I do remember it was an awful lot of fun punctuated by an awful lot of work. The planning for the first event took over a year. We had meetings with the state, City of Newport, New York Yacht Club and numerous others.

Racing was divided into 2 groups, US skippers and foreign challengers. The US skippers were from up and down the east coast, with a good number from the Virginia area. Our foreign challengers over the years were Max Lewis and Neil Bennell from Australia and John Cleve from England, Dr George Wilkins of Canada, Hironobu Sugihara of Japan. Racing was a series of round-robin match races narrowing the skippers down to 1 from each group.

The full size 12's would occasionally make fly-bys through our race course causing a stir among the competitors and the spectators. It had been estimated that over the course of the Newport mini's approximately 20,000 spectators watched the events. The races themselves were held at Ft. Adams at the mouth of Newport harbor. The initial races were held at the Mule Barn section of the fort, which had a beach, but the latter years it was moved out to the very point of the fort, not far from the main channel into the harbor. At this location there was a lot more interaction with 12 meters and I have a picture of 2 12's circling some of our EC-12's. At the end of one day's racing at the 1980 mini cup, the crew from US 12 Freedom (defender and winner of the 1980 America's Cup) came to our site and tried their hand with our EC-12's. After 2 minutes it looked like they had been sailing EC-12's for years.

The head of our protest committee was a gentleman named Leeds Mitchell, Jr. Leeds was an expert in racing rules having served on the rules and protest committees for the America's Cup. He was Rhode Island resident and he came to us through the New York Yacht Club of which he was a long time member. I remember telling him that this would probably be a lot different than what he was used to but, he said - sailboats are sailboats and racing is racing. He had a great time.

The results - 1977 - Bob Harris winner over Neil Bennell
1980 - John Cleve (K1 - England) I and another club member had the pleasure of throwing John into Newport harbor after his win, much to the delight of his wife Susan and his son Barnaby, although Barnaby did look a little confused to be honest, but he did laugh. A good time was had by all and John was a very gracious winner.
1983 - Buddy Black

I do have quite a few photos that I will try to scan and post a few (need to find them first). That is about it, it was a lot of fun. If I think of anything else I will post it.

By the way, I was EC12 Secretary for a few years.

Thank you.
Last edited by Dennis R on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis R

Postby Dennis R » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:42 am

The Mini America's Cup was moved to Australia after the US lost the cup.
Dennis R

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 am

Dennis:

Your post made for some very good reading for me. I am facinated with and love the "Old Cup" format and the history of the cup. The Mini Cup adds greatly to this classes history, I think. I miss the mono hulls and thought that the 2007 was the best event ever!

The idea of a Mini Cup with EC-12's in the future is very appealing and I think brings the classes storied past back for us newbies. I am willing to help organize and run a match racing event for the class. I think would add a twist to our sailing and give a break from fleet sailing.

Please post anything you have as I will be sure to read every word! Thanks
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby Columbia » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:56 am

Yes. I like the idea very much. Hope people go for it. Not much reception in the past whenever I spoke about it. But maybe the tide has changed and venue cathes on. I'm willing to help you in anyway I can.
Joe
Columbia

Postby greerdr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:10 pm

I'd submit Newport is one of our premier venues,both for the challenge of the wind,water and current plus the outstanding sailing culture of the area.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Ask the Secretary