Optional radio functions

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Optional radio functions

Postby Columbia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 am

Curious question. I see that now there are 4 radio functions allowed. I recall many years ago only 3 functions were permitted and the choices were 1 rudder 2 main and jib sheet 3 was the option 1 jib trim 2 jib twitcher or the backstay.
I see that the backstay is no longer an option. Is my memory good?
When and why did this change?

Thanks
Joe
Columbia

Re: Optional radio functions

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Joe,

As far as I know, there has never been a class rule to allow for radio control of any standing rigging, so the back stay would not be part of radio control. In the 13 years I have been involved with the EC12 there has only been 4 radio functions; Rudder, Sails, Jim Trim and Jib Twitcher. Jib Twitcher is not used that much, but there are a few skippers who like to have it.

Tom Phillips as an old set of rules dating back to 1976 if you need to see them. They still list the same 4 functions.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Columbia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:37 pm

I believe it. Don't doubt it for a minute. I thought I read that somewhere a very long time ago. I need to go over some old useless paper to see if I come across that. It might of been another class for all I know, but dam if I go there.
Thanks for putting that thought to sleep guys.

It would be an interesting concept.
Joe
Columbia

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 am

Joe, I am not an expert on any other class, but I do believe the A class has radio control backstays as well as spinnakers and just about anything else you want to play with in a model boat. But I am sticking with the EC12.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Ask the Secretary