Is jib traveller a "jib trim?"

Got a question on the EC12 class rules, ask the secretary
(Note: only items pertaining to the EC12 will be allowed. Other postings will be deleted.)

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55

Is jib traveller a "jib trim?"

Postby cchatain » Fri May 03, 2013 6:55 pm

If I build a jib traveller system, would the servo that contolled traveller adjustment be classified as a "jib trim" so that I could still use a separate channel for "jib tweaker?"
That would still be only two channels to control the jib.
Thanks, Chris. EC-12 #1871.
cchatain

Re: Is jib traveller a "jib trim?"

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri May 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Chris, after reviewing this with the CAC, we all agree that the use of a traveler must be controlled manually only. The Jib Trim simply shortens or lengthens the sheet line to allow for small adjustments (trim). A traveler that is controlled by a servo is not Class legal.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby boatyrd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm

I am fully willing to go along with rulings made by the authority but I don't understand this one. If the tweaker was used to control the traveler it would only have about 3/4 " travel.
Boots
boatyrd

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:24 am

The Class Rules are very specific on what can and cannot be operated by a servo. They are Main Sheet, Jib Sheet (or Jib Trim), Rudder, and Jib Twitcher. A twitcher is used to flip the jib boom from one side to the other. Usually used for downwind runs. Most skippers do not use the twitcher anymore because a jib counter weight does a good job and eliminates the added weight of the servo.

Jib Trim allows the jib to be sheeted in or out separately from the main sheet. Most do this with a servo arm that shortens or lengthens the sheet line.

Using a servo to control a car on a traveller would break the rules. Switching the servo used for a Jib Twitcher to be used for the traveller would also break the rules. Only the above items may be controlled with a servo, ALL other working or standing rigging must be manually adjusted or controlled.

The rules do not say you are limited to 4 servos which can be used anyway you like. They spell out exactly what the servos can control.

Just as one would not be permitted to change the Jib Twitcher servo to control the backstay, it cannot be re-purposed to control a traveller.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Ask the Secretary