RMG Voltage Monitor installation

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

RMG Voltage Monitor installation

Postby s vernon » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 am

I do not have a spare channel in my receiver. I wonder how I would best install the voltage monitor.

From the RMG website - Picture
This animation shows the Flash installed in the hatch of an IOM RC yacht. The gasket seal of the plastic container lid has been cut out and the display stuck to the transparent lid with clear Silicone. In this instance the Flash is connected into the power supply lead between a 6 cell battery pack and the winch. It's displaying 8.23 Volts.

me - Before I start cutting wires, what is the best way to connect it into the power supply lead between the battery and the winch? Add a Y in there so I have an added plug for the monitor? That seems obvious, but I thought I would ask. Seems like it would easy to put the words "add a Y" in the instructions rather than say "connected into the power supply lead". To me in order to connect something in the power supply lead without cutting any wires I would need an in and an out plug on the monitor so it could be installed in series.

I feel like I am not seeing something that should be obvious.

I tried to find the voltage monitor on the EC12.info site but I could not find it even using search. I think I have seen it there. Maybe not.

As always thank you in advance.

Scott
s vernon

Postby MichaelJ2K » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Scott,
A "Y" connector is fine, install it after the switch, you don't want the meter to draw the battery down. Another suggestion is using the Y for a milliameter, again installed after the switch. It will show you how many milliamps you have left in the pack plus you will see how much power your radio is drawing. There's several available.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Rob Guyatt » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi Scott,
The best solution is not the wording but a diagram. I will add a diagram to the instructions soon. But the bottom line is that to monitor the actual battery voltage it must be connected into the system at the same voltage as the battery. So best place is straight after the battery connector (on winch side). If using std connections and it is placed in the Rx then it will only read the winch voltage regulator which is 5 Volts. But if using alternate wiring method then it can go into the Rx (if there is room).

I would not lose any sleep over having the Flash drawing on the battery full time. At only 10 mA it would take 10 days to flatten a 2500 mAh pack on its own.

Rob

Rob
Rob Guyatt

Return to Electronics