Spektrum DX5e

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Spektrum DX5e

Postby jrutherford » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Guys,

I am considering switching to 2.4ghz radio for both of my boats and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this new radio from Spektrum?

My current setup is an old Skysport with futaba servos. I would like to be able to reuse my old servos, just swop out the receiver.

Any Thoughts,

Jim Rutherford
jrutherford

Postby yachtie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:10 am

Makes no difference for servos or winch what is telling them what to do. You will find the 2.4 is much simpler with no frequency issues - just turn it on and go [:)]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Midniteblue » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:54 am

I have 3 Spektrum DX6 all purchased in Ebay because a lot of Parkflyers upgrade to the newer one. They are great and easy to program. You need only the Transmitter and the Receiver with the plug that is used 1 time to link the Rx to the Tx..
If you decide for a Spektrum I suggest the DX6 so you can find already posted in the Web articles and upgrades that can help you to get more familiar or guide you to small projects like relocate the Tx antenna internally or installing a potentiometer to Trim the Jib.

Val
Midniteblue

Postby jrutherford » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Is there any reason to go with the Spectrum 6DX other than the vary good reasons listed by Mr. Val. I am looking for a cost effective new radio and this looks to be a good bet. Of course if anyone is willing to sell a 6DX with receiver for less than $100......

But seriously, I am thinking that this might be a good way to switch into the new frequency band.

Thanks again
jrutherford

Postby John Ebell » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Jim I think the DX5 doesn't have some of the programming stuff like end point adjustments and exponential control.. That may or may not mean anything for your use. However, you stated you wanted to find a DX6 for under $100 well check out these two sites that Fly boys use to unload stuff. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/search ... timeout=60
and
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-genera ... -fs-w-215/

Just today I bought another DX6 set up complete off of RC groups for $90 shipped. They are there you just have to check back from time to time. I have purchased 6 so far that way (yes too many boats) and have always found these spots to be less than ebay. Good luck!

John Ebell
John Ebell

Postby greerdr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:35 pm

The DX6 can be programmed to sail 10 boats off one transmitter .Just remember to change channels between fleets!It is ugly when you forget!!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Midniteblue » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:04 pm

The DX6 can be programmed to sail 10 boats off one transmitter,
........... but if you want to sail 3 boats at the same time you need 3 transmitters.

Val
Midniteblue

Postby jrutherford » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks to all for your advice and apologies for taking so long to get back to this.

I decided to go with a Futaba 6ex after all this but I appreciate the thought, effort and enthusiasm in your replies.

Jim Rutherford
jrutherford

Return to Electronics