Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Cut Antenna

Postby Chrispy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:44 pm

I have the following in my EC-12:

TX - Futaba T6XA
RX - Futaba FP-R1270F

I am in the process of reworking the Radio board to allow it to be easily removed

Question: Can I cut the antenna wire and insert some sort of connector that allows removal of the RX leaving the Antenna in the boat? Any help gratefully received. Futaba service say no but the guy had no idea why not!!! Possibly some sort of reflection problem at the frequencies involved??

Any help gratefully received

Chrispy
Chrispy

Postby jrflorida » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:33 pm

I had a boat built by Zellanack a few years ago, I supplied the radio, a JR 6 channel and he put a straight connector on the antenna and I had no problems at all. So the antenna stayed in the boat when I needed the board out for any work. I would say, don't worry, just get a good solid connector and coat it with some sort of waterproofing, maybe a bit of Vaseline if you don't have anything fancier.
jrflorida

Postby Rick West » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:03 pm

The reason for not changing the length of an antenna is that it changes the standing wave length of the frequency match for the signal to be received or transmitted.

Splicing or making other connection that maintain the matched length will work only if done without an increase in resistance through the connection or and most importantly, changing the length.

It is not recommended because most do not know the properties of frequency signal propagation or have instruments to measure it.

The installation of a tube for the antenna under the deck of an EC12 was developed to deal with easy removal and installation of the RX.

I would never alter the antenna provided by the manufacturer because of the consequence with that manufacturer even if I understand the warnings.

In addition, I am an Extra Class Amateur radio operator with the call of Kilo Yankee six India and suggest you find another way as the easy way out.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Think like many in the class-put the FM in another boat and go 2.4!
As so many Captains change to the new 2.4 it significantly reduces problems lakeside.don't think anyone had problems at Mystic related to radio.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby s vernon » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Chris,

As I told you at the lake, the The "Manual for the East Coast 12-Meter" on page 47 says "If the receiver is mounted on the radio board more permanent than velcro, you might want to add a disconnect in the antenna to allow removing the radio board with a through-deck portion of the antenna remaining in place. However, do not change the length of the antenna while doing so."

Scott
s vernon

Postby Merv49 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm new to sailboats but in my Soling I use a trick used by pylon racers to shorten their antennas. I have no problem with range and just use a small piece of velcro to strap the antenna to the inside of the hull. Check out this link.

http://www.darrolcady.com/Racing_Info/T ... ntenna.htm
Merv49

Postby Rick West » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:38 am

Slick! Should have thought of that years ago. Wound antennas have been comon for years in Amateur Radio and CB operations.

In your operations, Merv, what do people do with the 2.4GHz dual antenna?

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Chrispy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:00 pm

I have cut the antenna and soldered in an in-line connector, and so far (inside my house) all appears to be well. Next time I'll try the antenna wound around a straw as suggested in the previous post. Now I can try it on the race course. Thanks everyone.

Chrispy
Chrispy

Postby Merv49 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rick West</i>

Slick! Should have thought of that years ago. Wound antennas have been comon for years in Amateur Radio and CB operations.

In your operations, Merv, what do people do with the 2.4GHz dual antenna?

...94 [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I haven't actually looked at what the guys are doing with the dual antenna. The picture in the EC12 build site looks about right though. It's a very neat installation.
Merv49

Return to Electronics