Vortex SC-4 Winch

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Vortex SC-4 Winch

Postby Rick West » Sun May 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Have any of you heard of this sail winch? I have no Google hit on this that is readable.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kahle67 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:48 pm

I have one mounted on the deck of my Vortex 60. The boat has a 150% overlapping genoa which the SC-4 controls. The main is on a seperate winch.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Rick West » Mon May 19, 2008 2:24 am

Where can one get this winch and information on it?

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby RMDJBD » Mon May 19, 2008 3:05 am

Rick

Found this on Google, it is from Lary ludwig.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have built 2 different prototype winches that work along the same principle of the SC-4 "Stringeater" winch and have been pursuing foreign manufacture of them, but the cost of tooling and the initial run are just more than I can afford or even need. I myself trying to produce them one at a time is not a good solution either, but I am sure that something will work itself out in the next year. The good news is that they are both much MUCH faster, and considerably more powerful than the SC-4 and can do the job in real time that the SC-4 was just on the edge of making possible.

I have all the Vortex info that was available to the boat/owner as purchased so if you are looking for specific answers I can probably find them for you. It is a lovely sailing boat (from my 25 year old memories) and I truly do look forward to getting this one back on the water, hopefully in the next few months. Between now and December 1st we are in the "everything or nothing" phase of construction/delivery, so it will not be until into 2007 sometime.

If I can answer anything for you let me know,

LL

ud

Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby Larry Ludwig » Thu May 22, 2008 2:30 am

I have 3 of the SC-4 winches, two of which are in boats one of course being the Vortex 60 same as Reichard. The preceeding post is old and we are moving forward with both winch designs. They both have a dramatic impact on performance for the J and and AC class.

I had even given some evil thought to the EC-12 but it would make the rig goofy looking and probably sail badly.. but for shock value it would be fun.[8D]

I also have the complete drawings from the designer in full size, but that being said I should point out the the SC-4 was painfully slow and underpowered. I have corrected that in spades.

I can tack a <u><i><b>2500 sq"</b></i></u> genoa on Ranger in 2 seconds flat, not including final trimming to shape. This isn't a string eater, it's a string spitter... it feeds the sheet out faster than silly string out of a can and the speed is 100% proportional so that the further you move the stick on the TX, the faster the line moves. The controller comes with a USB cable that you can plug into your computer and set speed curve where you want it. This way, you may move the stick slightly, and creep the sheet for final trimming, or move it full travel and move 8' of line in under 2 seconds.

With the 18 volt Phillips motor and 250-1 gear reduction, I can pull Ranger clean out of the water and up on the beach with reserve power to spare.

The second version is less than half the size and is going into the new AC-20 class. If you want to see the SC-4 in action I have two videos on UTUBE showing the boat from skippers view in extremely light air (Rick, you should recognize the small round pond from last October here) and the 2nd is via wireless camera from onboard the boat showing the actual operation of the winch on the water.

As stated in the previous message, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I can say, weather performance is AWESOME, and in light air... NOTHING can touch it... save for the new AC boat that has the same winch.[;)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APo9uLq7Q00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFGdtaNpe_c

Reichard... I do have the full plans for the V-60.. I mean.. <u><b>THE</b></u> plans.. I hit a bonanza.. and I have the plug information layed out.. and I am deciding which way to go.. but the bottom line is.. there will be more V-60's in the future with the improved winch. Also...with a new deck patterned after a Pearson 40 complete with all fittings, lifelines, pulpits, hatches, handrails.. it's gorgeous.. Dean Derusha doing the Harken fittings and Bob Kyle teaching me the brightwork, it will be a magnificent sailing model. No tack/tack/tack here... you know about that... you have to actually sail this bad boy....looking forward to us getting together with our V-60's I have found about 4 of them so far.
Larry Ludwig

Return to Electronics