Spektrum DX6i modification for a jib trim knob

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Spektrum DX6i modification for a jib trim knob

Postby rv4pilot » Tue May 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Hello! Has anyone had the chance yet to see if a proportional knob can be added to the DX6i transmitter? Can the flap or the gear switch be changed to a knob? Thanks for any help you can offer....... Jeff D.

Is it time to sail yet?
rv4pilot

Postby jack wubbe » Tue May 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Yes a proportional 5 ohm pot. can be added to your DX6i. What you have to do is cut the 3 wires from the rudder pot. ( not normaly used in sailing ) and splice in 3 wires to a rotary knob. The flap and gear switch is just on or off. Some guys use them but your jib is either close hauled or out. I can send pictures if needed.

Jack Wubbe
Heritage #23
jack wubbe

Postby rv4pilot » Wed May 07, 2008 9:10 am

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I did not think I could replace the flap or gear switch with a pot/knob. I do not really want to get rid of my aircraft rudder stick function as I will be using the radio for some planes as well. I suppose I could run the wires that go to the left sticks rudder function through a switch that will allow me to choose between the knob/pot working for my jib trim on my sailboats,or the rudder working for my airplanes. The switch would have to have nine posts on it to solder all the wires to it. Would this be called a three pole double throw switch? I kind of thought that this would be the way I would have to do it. This should work? Thanks.............. Jeff D

Is it time to sail yet?
rv4pilot

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed May 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi Jeff,

I guess if you have the real estate in the radio to mount a knob that works ergonomically and keep all the other switches in place, go for it.

Yes, you would need a three pole double throw switch to select which control you wanted to use. Input from the circuit board to the center poles and output to each control on the ends of the switch.

Chuck

PS Yes, it is time.
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Electronics