EC12 Telemetry Package

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

EC12 Telemetry Package

Postby tharmer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:27 pm

I'm considering building a telemetry package for my EC12. I know it's not legal to race with, but I think it would be useful for trimming, practicing, etc.

Two questions:
Does anybody know if this has already been done? If so I'd buy rather than build so I don't have to reinvent the wheel, as it were.

Second, what sensors and information would you like to have in such a package. So far I've got wind speed, speed over water, heel angle (both Port/Stbd and Fore/Aft). Any others?

-terry
tharmer

Postby tharmer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Never mind. Google is my friend.
tharmer

Postby cshelden » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:21 pm

So what did you find?

Back in the mid to late 90's our local ham group was pretty involved in sending up weather balloons. Not for weather information but to build and design payloads that would go up to about 110,000 feet or as we would say Near Space. We included ATV (amateur television downlink, GPS tracking with telemetry and 2 way radio repeaters). I know that isn't sail related, but your post got me to thinking about scaling down my old gear and adding it to an EC12, with video feed during one of our events. I was wondering what you came up with.

Charlie
cshelden

Postby tharmer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 pm

turns out there are packages for RC airplanes. One of them has additional packages for...sailboats!

One of them is http://www.eagletreesystems.com/.

-terry
tharmer

Return to Electronics