Need References

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Need References

Postby Rick West » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:20 pm

Okay Folks, I need current references and links for what is being used for boat and TX batteries from the Internet. Batteries at 1600+ ma and NiMH type. What fast chargers are being used (less than an hour for each battery like the Span charge we used to get from Apak)? This is for the building site links. My stuff is no longer available and will last forever. Need to know what you all are using.

For those of you that are building battery packs: Where do you get your supplies and what do you get? I am going to build a section on this for the site. 'preciate it!

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby MichaelJ2K » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:46 pm

For my onboard battery, I use a 7.2 volt 1650 mah NiMh pack from Radical RC (http://www.radicalrc.com)for the Multiplex transmitter. My boat has a Whirlwind 7.2 volt winch and this battery suits it perfectly. I do an overnight charge using an Ace variable output charger and can sail practically all day.

Radical RC's service is excellent and fast. They can custom build anything you need. If I build a pack, I order cells from Batteries America (http://www.batteriesamerica.com).

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby tag1945 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:44 pm

Rick

I use AA batteries from www.batteryspace.com. 5 cells for the reciever and 8 cells for the transmitter. They have AA batteries (2200 ma NiMh) with soldering tabs, that make putting packs together easy. If you still have your Apak battery charger, you can still continue using it by adding a Thermistor and using a 3 wire lead as before. I have made several packs for the guys here in Jacksonville that used Apak charger and wanted to continue to use their Apak chargers. They sell the battery either single cell or you can get 20 cells for about $25.00.

You can get the Thermsitor from www.jameco.com. The Jameco part number: 207037 and the NTC part number: NTC-103. The Thermistor runs about 39 - 59 cents. If you want to go this root, let me know and I will tell how to install the thermistor. (Very easy)

You can also get smart chargers from www.batteryspace.com that also work well without thermistors. I've been useing them for over 2 years without any trouble.. They run about $27.00 for 6V charger and $29.00 for the 12V charger.
tag1945

Postby PaulP » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:38 pm

I buy my batteries from Thomas Distributing and build my own packs

http://www.nimhbattery.com/index.htm

Paul
PaulP

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:29 am

batteryspace.com.

better deals if you buy them through ebay

come both in Tabbed version plus a number of different industry connectors.

I use Futaba Connectors.

Charger: Duratrax Intellipeak Digital. smart charger, both ac/dc, fast and resonable price
Doug Wotring

Postby lmazoway » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:50 pm

http://www.all-battery.com/

I use 6V 2000mAh flat packs ($ 10.99) for my receiver/winch and 9.6V 2000mAh ($12.89) in my transmitter. (Note: make sure measurements of new transmitter battery will fit in your existing transmitter.)

I have had good luck with this company. Unfortunately they don't have a pack that will improve my sailing.

Larry
lmazoway

Postby greerdr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:16 am

You are getting better each regatta!and you are a real gentleman. Go Maine!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Electronics