Spektrum DX6 Battery Charging

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Spektrum DX6 Battery Charging

Postby Alan Perkins » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:17 pm

I'm new to EC12's this year (great [:D] decision thanks Scott & Dave)and at my second Regatta "White Rose" in York PA in the 7th race of the day #14 carried on happily down the lake, out of control [:I] . I found that I had not charged the new 2700 Ni-MH battery long enough. When first setting up my radio I read the article in Model Yachting Issue #146 "About Radios and R/C Systems" and found that the 600 mAh battery pack that comes with the radio would not last a full days Regatta so prior to the Regatta I purchased a new 2700 TX pack and two 2700 Rx battery packs. I charged them 24 hours using the charger that comes with the Radio and thought that would be long enough. hahahaha. Charging at 50mA's I'm now told would take somewhere in the region of 72 hours. I want to purchase a new fast charger so [?] 1) what would you recommend & 2) Does anyone have detailed (simple) instructions on modifying the Spekrum radio to use a different faster charger.
Alan Perkins
#GBR14
Alan Perkins

Postby bogordoug » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:43 pm

I have used the Accu-cycle Elite with no problems. I use 2200 mah battery packs and they change/recharge in less than one hour. It is a perfect battery charger to use, especially for two day regattas when recharging overnight is a must. The only down side is that you must remove the batteries from the transmitter before recharging. But that is no big problem. I change my batteries during the lunch break on a day long regatta.

Good luck. I think the larger batteries is a better solution that the mod to the radio board.

Doug Hale
bogordoug

Postby yachtie » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Do any US skippers use throw away batteries in their Xmitter?? I have been using alkaline throw aways for the last few years. Cost is minimal as I get a 40 pack for $20 NZD - abt $13.50 USD. These batteries have lasted up to 4 days of sailing and have even been known to be left in the xmiter for months with no problem.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby bogordoug » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:39 pm

Depends upon the transmitter. In some you have no choice (built in battery holders), and I haven't looked for a battery holder for my Spektrum transmitter.

return question: do you you rechargeable single cell batteries (AA) in your transmitters?

Doug Hale
bogordoug

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:15 pm

I don't know of too many people that use disposable batteries in the EC-12 class, but I do know of guys who use the Radio Shack rechargeable batteries. I went out and got some myself, but not for my boat. I use them for all my kid's toys. I keep the wall charger plugged in in the kitchen all the time and my daughter knows how to do it now, so she never runs out of a batteries for her Wii.

If you don't know how to wire up a pack or just not any good with a soldering iron, it makes a lot of sense to go that route.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby PegLeg » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Alan -
I do not believe that modifying anything on the transmitter cirtuit will achieve your desired "fast charge" the problem is the batteries themselves. And Spektrums are power hogs

The standard pack is I believe about 600 Mah. I journeyed to the local battery shop (interstate or similar) and had them build a replacement battery pack using 2500 Mah Nimh cells in the same arrangement as the OEM. The cost was less than $30.00, took about an hour and I can sail all day without a problem. I have kept my original pack for backup just in case.

The Hobico "accu-Cycle" series of chargers at Tower to be as rugged and dependable as any. They allow different charging rates for different needs. Tower has a help line that would allow you to get specific advice about these and other chargers to mee your needs.

BE VERY CAREFUL tho when setting up ANY external charging arrangement fot the Spektrum. Spektrum (like the JR) has a reverse polarity for the Tx charging input. The Hobico chargers however do allow the reversal of leads to accomodate such a situation. The Rx batts have the standard arrangement and are no problem to keep up.

One other alternative that was used in the NiCad days was to hook up a 1/8 audio jack on the back of the Tx and cary a spare Tx battery pack with a phone plug that plugs into the Tx and cuts the low battery out of the circuit so you can continue to sail.

Either way you should get to the point where batteries ar not a day time problem.

Good Luck

Pete
PegLeg

Return to Electronics