All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

futaba 2.4 receiver placement

Postby chris kakavas » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:14 am

How and where are people mounting the receiver in the EC12
chris kakavas

Postby Winston » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 am

I'll bite.

How? Velcro. Where? Underside of deck just starboard and forward of hatch. What? Specktrum DX6.
Winston

Postby kahle67 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 am

Place it on the under side of the deck with velcro just inside of the hatch opening. The antennas are supposed to be 90 degrees apart for best results.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby kahle67 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:41 am

Winston, you beat me by 16 seconds!

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby skip241 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:54 pm

Chris, if you have a carbon fiber mast compression strut under the deck, make sure that neither antenna touch the carbon. I've used my Futaba in 2 regattas and have been totally satisfied with the performance; unlike the Spektrum that I threw in the lake a month or so ago. Skip, Atlanta [8D]
skip241

Postby Rick West » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:13 pm

Chris,
I echo these guys. I have installed the Futaba system on the West Coast boat. I have been using a vertical mount starboard with Velcro at the forward hatch corner. I then have placed the antennas across the forward hatch beam and the starboard horizontal beam (90 degress).

The Futaba is smooth and you will love it. Do the standard install per the manual and then later play with the features. This way you will have operations as you have in the past and can tweak as you go. I have moved trim (no knob...Duh?) to the elevator stick function and added another wiper to friction wheel like that of the throttle for improved movement.

Give me one windward mark pass at CHS and thanks.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Ron Brown » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Rick
Is there more info. on how you did the trim on the web site Some where,I so please let me know.Thanks
RON
Ron Brown

Postby Mike Zellanack » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:17 pm

Chris:

The info you received on the antennae install will work great. I've used it successfully ever since the unit came out. However, the jib trim control is the problem. The simplified changes addressed in this section are OK, but won't work very well. I've developed a modification which will work far better than any of the methods described. Call or email me and I'll let you know how it works.
Ron, I can't believe you actually asked your question after I showed you how this system works. I guess you can't trust anyone.

Mike
Mike Zellanack

Postby Rick West » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:09 am

The Website has been in the process of updating for the last month. All of the pre-checklist stuf has been done but the radio. I had the camera back east and currently in Mount Laurel. That section will be finished late next week when I get home.

As the website states, it is not the last word in building, innovation or techniques in craftsmanship. It mainly shares what I do in the simplest ways to have a good operational boat. I am sure there are other ways (and have seen some), as the sharing here has shown. One of those was a post Skip Allen made here that he replaced a switch with a knob to a pot for the time. There may be others but I have been wanting to move the trim to the elevator for some time and the new Futaba urged me on.

This is not new. Reichard Kahle has been doing this for a couple of years.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby tag1945 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:33 pm

Here are some pictures of how I have mounted the FASST Futaba Reciever.

http://www.floridaec12.com/2.4rx-mount.html

The antenna is actually 90 degrees apart not 45.

I use this mount in three different boats and it works great...

Tom
tag1945

Return to Electronics