RMG 280DL setup instructions changed

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

RMG 280DL setup instructions changed

Postby s vernon » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:37 am

I was surprised to see that the setup instructions are totally different for the new 280DL that I just bought versus even the previous 280DL that I had bought.

The new instructions have the xmtr turned on and the winch turned off and then in step 2 the winch goes into setup mode by turning the winch on, waiting for the beeps and then pushing the RX lead plug into the RX. I have a hard time understanding what words mean and could not figure out what an "RX lead plug" is to I eventually got out my old book, and successfully set up and increased the rotations of the winch.

I just write this because this might be a recent development that few people know about. And I am curious what Bob might have to say about it.

I think I now know what the instructions say/mean, so for the next 280DL I will again try to follow the new instructions as written.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:57 pm

Scott,
I am confused too. It sounds like you are using a process for a space spectrum radio than previous radio bands.

The process has not changed with the exception that a spectrum system has a TX to RX delay that confuses the RMG programming cycle. Rob Guyatt explains this and suggests using a signal switch in the line from the RMG to the RX. This is mentioned in the latest updates on the building site in Radio Systems.

Rob offers this switch but most build it and the process has been no problem. I have seen nothing on this as the programming process for the RMG is the same as always except for the signal break for 2.4GHZ systems. 75MHz is still the same.

Am I missing something?

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby s vernon » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:32 am

It is that funny sounding.

There is only one (new) procedure for "setting up", starting on page 8 of the RMG user guide with no mention of it being only for Spektrum radios. It is the new method for all radios.

Whereas the previous method of setting up began with the radio turned on and the first step was to turn on the winch and then turn on the radio after hearing all the beeps, now it starts with the radio turned on and the winch turned off and the "RX lead plug out"...

Step 2 now is to turn the winch on and wait 10 seconds for all the beeps then push the plug into the rcvr within 2 seconds.

I took another look at the old user guide. Rob has now gone or pretty much gone to the PCM radio setup for use with all radios.

I like to set up my winches using my Skysport even tho I generally race using a 3UCP PCM radio. It seems so much easier to just switch the radio on and off during setup than to plug and unplug into the rcvr. I will keep doing it that way unless it leads to obvious problems. The movement, number of turns, starting point of the drum versus radio stick - everything - is exactly the same using my Skysport radio or my 3UCP radios interchangeably.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:39 am

Maybe you could take it up with Rob. I do not have the new instructions. I suspect that Rob has written to cover all radio systems including the Spread Spectrum stuff.

The procedure has always been to start with the TX off, turn the winch on for the countdown and then turn the radio on immediately at the call. Then follow the process using the TX power switch to instruct the process where called for. This part has been changed. Instead of using the TX power switch to interrupt the signal from the RX to the processor on the winch, the plug from the winch to the RX is used to interrupt the signal. So the process begins with the RX plug removed, turn on the TX and then turn on the winch for the countdown. When the call comes, you stab the lead from the winch into the proper channel slot on the RX. This now connects the TX through the RX to the processor on the winch.

It is the same process but using the winch lead plug to the RX to simulate turning on and off the TX. It is the signal interruptions that program the winch processor.

What most of us have done is to install a switch in the signal wire of an extension that will be used between the winch RX line and the RX winch channel plug in. This is easier that trying to stab the RX when called and be timely. Once the programming is complete the extension can be removed to the toolbox.

RMG offers this “Signal Switchâ€
Rick West

Postby cshelden » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:31 am

I spoke with Rob earlier this week as he is re-gearing my 380 to 7 turns. Anyhow he said that the new instructions do indeed reflect the needs of the spread spectrum radios on the market.

Charlie
cshelden

Postby s vernon » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:36 pm

I looked on the RMG website, and he has both sets of instructions available there. Maybe he feels it is less confusing if he just puts one way to do it in the booklet. I would not agree with that thinking, since I much prefer the "switch the Skysport radio on/off" way of setting up - even to set up for use with a PCM radio.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rob Guyatt » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:34 am

Hi Blokes.
Sorry for all the confusion about setup. As Rick has correctly suggested, I just reworded the method to suit all radios. The new description will work with all radios. The old method would only work with receivers (rx) that stay silent when the transmitter (tx) is turned off. There's a lot of different radios now that don't stop sending signals from the rx to the servos when the tx is off. So for those, the signal line switch or rx lead push / pull method is needed.

Spektrum is just one more radio that won't do setup by turning the tx on and off. But if you've got a radio that the tx on/off method does work then great. I agree with Scott. It is the simplest method.

I understand Scott not agreeing with me that it is better to describe it in just the one way. But I have got to keep "Guyatt's Theorum" in mind when writing my instruction booklet. What's Guyatt's Theorum? Well it goes like this (and before I get accused of arrogance, I devised this theorum with people like me in mind. That's people who are reluctant to open an instruction booklet till all else fails).

Anyway back to Guyatt's Theorum.

<i>The proportion of users that read the users guide (for any product) is inversely proportional to the number of pages!!!!</i>

So based on that bit of wisdom (figjam) I am reluctant to describe all the possible ways to run setup in the booklet. But I'm sorry if my attempting to use the K.I.S.S. principle has caused confusion.

Cheers
Rob

Rob
Rob Guyatt

Return to Electronics