Drum trolley system

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Drum trolley system

Postby D Garnett » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:34 pm

Has anyone tried this system as described by Bob Merserseau in a recent AMYA magazine article?
D Garnett

Postby PegLeg » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:53 am

I do not know of anyone using the rig except Bob. I can tell you (from racing against him at Elon) he is very competitive with his arrangement. It is simple to get the whole thing in and out for repairs.

Bob's arrangement is similar to one from Bills Boat Yard.
PegLeg

Postby cgdm1168 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:28 am

HI DL and Pete,

I'm also using the drum trolley system. I used Bob's article as guide to construction, but substituted materials. I've got some pictures I can e-mail you if your interested. I found that plexiglass was a pain to work with, and used wood for the board and an arrow shaft for the truning block.

I like the system as it's very easy to remove the entire unit and work on it if needed.

Chris
PMYC
cgdm1168

Postby Skip Quinn » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:38 pm

Bill from Bill's boat yard (under venders) at Amya has one you might just want to look at. He uses a spring and a pully. I have it in my US1M and it works great. Skip[8D]

Skip
Skip Quinn

Postby Hans Berger » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:58 am

I use this setup in my EC12 and realy like it. I do not use an arrow shaft, I use a U channel from an old storm window,. This is mounted to the mounting lugs of the Futaba FP S10 winch. At bow end of a U channel is a bolt that also holds the jib rack. The return block is mounted to a screw and adjusting the screw takes out the slack.

Hans
Hans Berger

Postby yachtie » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:26 pm

Haven't read AMYA mag as it don't come down under (not a memb.)

I use a system of alloy curtain rail whereby a curtain slide goes up and down the rail with the sheets clipped to it. The slider is attached to my RMG winch with a pekabe block on heavy bungee at the end of the rail. This makes it very easy to set up the winch outside the boat and then attach the sheets by clip to it. The whole lot comes out of the boat as one, winch, rail, and rudder servo which is also mounted on same board.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
yachtie

Return to Electronics