Upgrading an older boat

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Upgrading an older boat

Postby James G. Brown » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:09 pm

I have a question about upgrading the sail trim on an older boat. I now have an Ozmun sail winch offset to starboard. There is not enough play in the sheets to ease the sails all the way out on a run. Have done some reading and wonder if I am right that I cannot consider replacing with an RMG winch? ie; the sheets need to be led all the way forward and hence I can't use a reel winch. Would appreciate any input. Thanks.
James G. Brown

Postby rob1416 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:43 pm

The only significant impediment to retrofitting an RMG to an existing boat is access to the bow under the deck so as to install a turning block sufficiently far forward to allow for the minimum sheet travel. Most EC 12's that have an RMG use a bow block and open loop system as described on the building sites.

One might cut a hatch in the deck up front to gain access to install a block; however, I have seen others mount a turning block on a shaft which they then slide forward under the deck. If the shaft is long enough, one can position it so that it is held in place at the point of the bow and fastened in some way back near the RMG, perhaps attached to the lead ballast or radio board. To position the shaft in the bow, you might shape a small block to mimic the inside shape of the bow.

With a bow block in place, rigging the necessary loop, elastic and sheet lines can be done according to plans.

One benfit to this arrangement is that servicing the bow block is simply a matter of pulling the shaft. Alternately, one could leave the shaft in place. In that case, the turning block needs to be run forward on a messenger line that runs through an eye bolt at the forward end of the shaft. Be sure to run a spare messenger line in case the first line breaks or, at minimum, check the messenger line for chafe.

The messenger line should be hefty because it absorbs all of the tension created by the winch and sails and it has a tendency to chafe through.

Rob Hill
rob1416

Postby yachtie » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:25 am

Rob, that is similar to what I have doen in kiwiland. I use an old alloy curtain track with a block attached by bungy to the end of it. The curtian slide has the sheets and loop to the winch attaced which keeps it all nice straight and no hassle of trying to replace or refit the block in the bow.

This and the RMG are both fitted to a piece of aluminium that has 2 screws attaching it to a wooden plate glassed into the boat which makes for easy removal and bench work. By also marking the curtain rail with distance marks the travel of an RMG can set up outside the boat. As to weight - about 170grams all up including winch(6ozs to you imperialists!)

I have a complete spare setup this way that can be swapped in less than 5 minutes without having to re-calibrate travel when installing at pondside. If you want I can send by email photo's of the setup in and out of the boat in detail.

Anyone else who also wants these pics just send me a PM with your email addy.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 pm

I have done a refit using Tom Germers arrow shaft mount. There is a photo in the latest MODEL YACHTING and he has done full instructions and photos. If you are interested, it works very well and can be removed and replaced quickly. One thumb screw in the boat hold it in place. Many ways to skin a cat, this was very simple.
Tom Phillips
bigfoot55

Return to Electronics